Arc LS Lumens comparison to other flashlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Newly Enlightened
The Arc LS Premium is rated at 22-25 lumens. Can someone tell me what the Arc AAA and the Inova X5T is rated at for comparison? I'm curious.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is what I saved as a reference from Peter's posting here a few weeks past.

ARC AAA/S-NAT: 3 Lumens
ARC AAA/P-NAT: 3 Lumens
LSL-P: 21-23 Lumens
LSH: 14-17 Lumens
LSH-P: 22-25 Lumens
KL1: 19 Lumens
E2: 85 Lumens
L1: 26 Lumens
X5T: 13 Lumens
L4: 81 Lumens
Mag 2AA: 4-8 Lumens
Mag 2D: 25 Lumens
Solitaire: 2 Lumens

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
arc aa will put out the same amount of light as the aaa.

i would say the arc does put out a lot more lumens though...33% more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tardis

Newly Enlightened
I gather that the AA is the same brightness as the AAA but the AA has a longer runtime. ~10 hours as opposed to ~5 hours.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
arc aa will put out the same amount of light as the aaa.

i would say the arc does put out a lot more lumens though...33% more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A small correction: using a solataire as base comparison, the Arc AAA is 50% brighter. Stated the other way, the solataire is 66.6667% as bright as the AAA. And I'll also add that in side/side comparison the Arc was so much brighter to the eye than my old, beat-up solitare that I just chucked the mag in the trash.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif good point...

color is also a good point, as is the fact that the solitaire will only remain at the 2lumens for a very short amount of time.

Spango

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:

E2: 85 Lumens
L4: 81 Lumens

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting point: I though the L4 is officially rated at around 65 Lumens?

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Different manufacturers measure lumens differently, it seems. Some overexaggerate, and some, like Surefire, seem to under exaggerate their lumens claims.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
companies such as sf and arc tend to underrate their products, to ensure you are getting at least what they claim. surefire claimes 65lumens, but that is of course susceptable to variation, so it may be anywhere betweent 70 and 90, and they state 65 to be sure.
another thing that comes to mind is the arc aaa's waterproofness. we all know that the thing could sink to the bottom of the ocean and still work, but peter has a 50ft rating on it, just to be safe. i really wish he'd bump it up though, to appeal to divers and such /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:

..E2: 85 Lumens..
..L4: 81 Lumens..

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where the E2(e) and L4 figures came from but Surefire rates them as 60 lumens and 65 lumens respectively.

Brightnorm

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing that would inflate the numbers is that these readings were taken with a minute on a fresh battery. The non-regulated lights (and some regulated lights) start out bright and quickly settle down to a lower level. So the e2 may be 80 lumens in the first minute, 70 lumens 2-3 minutes later and finally level off at around 60 lumens after 5-10 minutes. I think rating the light at 60 lumens is appropiatly conservative.

The lab results we posted were from and independent lab that does a lot of government work: Lighting Sciences.

Peter

tusenkonstnar

Newly Enlightened
When Comparing the Solitaire and the Arc AAA ons should also remeber that:

The Solitaire looses its brightness quite fast but the Arc stays "bright" for a much longer time.

Itäs also MUCH easyer to find things when the beam is smooth like from the Arc then trying to find something in the unevenly distributed light from the solitaire.

I have (or had) both of them but after I've got my Arc AAA i gave the solitaire away to my brother. Because the AAA felt a lot stronger and more useful.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, when comparing the Solitaire and the Arc AAA we should also remember 1 more thing... there's no comparison!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I let my Arc sit thru a presentation for close to 2 hours to light up a notebook keyboard, and there was barely a flicker! I wouldn't have had the same confidence with a Solitaire tho'!! Even after that, the level of brightness still looked to be as good as new... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Blikbok

Enlightened
I carried an old Solitare in my pocket for a few years. It was nowhere near as durable as the Arc AAA. The finish wore off quickly, and the threads eventually froze and I couldn't open it to get the battery out, so I trashed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.