Will the KL3 run on a 3P?

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old 3P that says laser products on the tail. Would it run a KL3, or is the regulator in the KL3 set up for ONLY 6-9 Volts?

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
6-9 volts only. But the KL4 was only designed to be used at 6 volts and many are using the E1E with it.
oldgrandpajack

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Were you adventurous enough to try it, or use a 6P with one dummy cell?

edited for poor spelling...

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Just tried it on a 3P. It works. Not as bright as my L1 on high. Don't know about runtime. Must be the cutoff voltage is less than 3 volts. Needs the Z41 lock out tail cap though. Nice size.
oldgrandpajack

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Check the UBH runtimes in the Reviews Forum.....look in the runtimes sticky.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
As I understand things, the KL-3 does not work at 3v, thus I did not run a plot on it with 3v. The KL-1 will work at 3v, 6v, and 9v.

The KL-3 will not fit on a E series body (or UBH) without an adapter.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you could give it a shot on a 3P? OldGrandpaJack tried it (see his previous post). It may yield interesting results.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The KL3 is a buck regulator, and the KL1 is a buck- boost. The KL4 is a buck regulator, and the KL5 will have a different regulator than the KL4. This according to PK when he responded to my e-mail.

Bill

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the KL4 is a boost regulator. 6V is lower than the Vf of the typical 5W. Also, if it's a buck, it would never work on an E1e. So I think PK may have overlooked something in his response. So, PK responds to e-mails from CPF'ers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The KL3 on a single 123 is running out of regulation, hence it will dim as the cell gets used. Also, it will actually run dimmer than if the LED is run directly from the cell due to voltage drops in a sense resistor and the on resistance of a FET in the buck regulator.

CM

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
CM, I think you are right re KL4. Am doing this from memory, and not at home to check my mail file. Yes PK did respond to my email. I did identify myself as a CPF'er. He asked permission to forward his response to me, to one of our fellow CPF'ers in Germany. Can not think of his name, but he is a fairly regular poster.

Bill