Tec 40 with 3 cell bulb

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been running a M*g 3 cell krypton bulb in my Tec 40 because it is brighter and has a better beam. It just blew about half an hour ago, and it can't have been run for more than 6 or 7 hours on four cells before it blew. I guess I'll have to buy a lot of 3 cell bulbs to run in this light because I don't care for the original bulb (very yellow, very uneven beam, and dimmer than the 3 cell bulbs)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pi,

I've managed to get, currently, over 20 hours out of a RadioShack XPR-103 (272-1182), running 1800ma NiMH AAs. The bulb is rated at .8 amp @ 3.6 volts. I don't think that this long run would have been achievable if I had been using alkalines. I hope this helps.

Dan

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighter and whiter. Try it, you'll love it. If Dan gets 20 hours, that's very respectable. I have one of these on a Dorcy Cool Blue (yanked the LED out) and it's a great beat-er-upper bright light. NiMH's definitely helps due to the lower voltage compared to Alkies, plus you get a flatter discharge curve. I've replaced all my 4AA bulbs with the XPR-103 and I'll never go back.

CM

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pi,

I don't have a light meter (yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ), but I would say approaching the brightness (7/8s) of my Pelican M6, when the M6 is defocused to equal the size of the Tec40's hot spot (so let's say Scorpion bright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif). The RShack XPR-103 also has a tighter hot spot, when compared to the RShack KPR-103. RShack also rates the XPR-103 bulb life at 40 hours and the KPR-103 at 15 hours. For less than $2, how can you go wrong? A little warning on what ever bulb you choose, make sure that there is a least an 1/8" between the tip of the bulb and the lens. Other forum members have melted theirs with other bulb combinations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Dan

Catapult

Enlightened
Which would be the better buld to use with rechargables?

Mag 3 cell Krypton
RS XPR-103
RS KPR-103

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
Catapult,

I would say get the RS KPR-103. Xenon bulbs don't seem to like being overdriven so you are safer using krypton bulbs. I use a Mag 3 cell krypton in my PT40, but at the price of one you could probably get at least two Radio Shack bulbs and I'm not sure there is any difference in brightness between the two brands.

Alan

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
I forgot to add that if you really want to soup up your PT40, wait until someone organizes a Carley Lamp group buy of flashlight bulbs and get the 604 bulb. It is made to be used with rechargables since it runs at a lower voltage but higher current. The lamp life is a lot shorter and you can only run it for about 10 minutes at a time before it gets to hot for the reflector, but during that time it puts out a lot of light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
A four cell M*g Xenon bulb is in my TEC 40. It is a bit brighter than stock, with a slightly tighter beam.

But I chose it for reliability!

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the battery life with the Mag bulbs?

Illuminated

Enlightened
HPR53 (4V/.85A) kicks butt in my Tec40 on NiMH, but let the batts rest at least 'till they're cool again, or it *will* flash immediately. Otherwise, it seems to do just fine. I usually let my batts sit overnight after charging. Whiter than my G2/P60 on fresh 123's.

Ace Hardware sells them here in OH. They're in the little cardboard organizer drawers along with other misc indicator and hobby (vacuum) lamps.

Have fun!

John

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,
I was using a XPR-103 in my Tec40, but recently got one of the "new" Maglite Magnum bulbs for a 3 cell, and have been using it, instead. Hotspot, brightness, spill...it's practically identical to my E2E w MN03 and fresh batteries, maybe even a little brighter-and the Tec40 has had the same batteries in it for some time, now.
The "Magnum" bulb is also closer in profile to the stock bulb, and doesn't come as close to the lens as the XPR-103.
I have no idea how long it will last, as this is my first time using the bulb, and the light doesn't see all that much use, but so far so good.

Warric

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Pi_is_blue said:
I have the Halogen bulb. Has anyone tried the Krypton Tec 40 bulb?

[/ QUOTE ]

i've tried the krypton tec 40 bulb. the beam is yellowish in colour, but it has a much smoother beam then the halogen bulb. the good thing about krypton is that it has 8hrs of runtime. so don't have to worry of running out of batt in the jungle. i'm currently using Pelican 242 MityLite 4AA Xenon Lamp. it's bighter, whiter and smoother then the halogen bulb.