Help me find exactly the light I need....

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
I have rather specific flashlight requirements. Hopefully somebody here will know of an answer. It's for my elderly mother, so the more it looks like an old fashioned 2C flashlight, the better. Now here are my other requirements:

1. LED based - fairly bright, farily long lasting.
2. AA or AAA batteries (that's what she keeps around the house)
3. Clickee on/off switch on the barrel. Tailcap switches or screw-on switches are definitely out.

That's it. Except the Streamlight TL 3AA which seems to meet most of the requirements won't work because it's too long and awkward to handle.

Thanks,

-barry

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was going to suggest the Lightwave 3000, until I got to the part where you wanted AA or AAA cells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
(The LW 3000 needs three C cells.)
That barrel-mounted clicky switch requirement will eliminate most LED lights.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
Excellent suggestion. The Blaster Jr. looks like a good light. I've emailled them to see when it will actually be available.

Thanks,

-barry

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Lightwave 2100 uses a switch and to a twist on action, 3xAA, 4x5mm LED.

the light with the coolest name: SL4AA7LED

bernhard

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would heartily recommend the SL4AA7LED.

though it has a tail clickie, it has a VERY light action.

have you ever tried one? inexpensive, bright, light, feels good in the hand, tough, waterproof, good warranty, very easy to push tail clickie...i think it is one of the best "around the house" lights made.

does she like the minimag twisty head? you could get an opalec--but it isnt nearly as bright as the streamlight.

another possibility is the lightwave 2100--but it is kinda long.

how about an inretech in a craftsman 2aa light? they have a clicky on the barrel. i think dorcy has one that is similar (or the same?).

good luck!

Bob

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to both of you. The Lightwave 2100 might be just the ticket. I was hoping for a light that was a bit larger (more like the 99 cent Ray-o-Vac of my youth), but this might just do.

The SL 4AA7LED does look like a good light (and a very good value). I might just get if for my friends this Xmas. But the tailcap switch nixes it for Mom.

Thanks,

-barry

paulr

Flashaholic
I thought the Lightwave has a twist bezel.

You may have to go to a modded light. Something like a 2C Mag with an Everled.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lightwave 2000 and Illuminator (headlamp) have the twist bezel switch. An alternative if you really want C size, is a 2C Mag and a Versalux PR-2 LED bulb.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Barry,

Here's something that I bought for an older friend of mine. It looks like a short 2D light, but it is really quite a bright light with an oval, almost circular, well-defined hot spot about the same size as the SureFire A2.

It's not an LED light, but you may like it anyway.

I bought it at my local Sears store -- a Craftsman 4 AA Tool Light (34-93068). I understand that this is like the Dorcy boss. Length 5.0" - Diameter 1.9" - Bezel dia. 2.5"- Effective reflector (faceted) dia 1.75" - Body rubber-coated plastic - Spare bulb in cheapie lanyard - LED battery level indicator - Cost $7.99.

I took out the bulbs it had and replaced them with Mag 3-cell bulbs. That drove it at about 6 watts. I measured the light intensity at about 175% of what the Mag 3C delivers. It dropped to the 66% level after 1 hour of run time.

I think your mother might like this.

Paul

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, try replacing the Craftsman 4AA bulb with an Everled instead for a long life, bright, and white; they work very well in this light (I have one). When the led batt indicator turns red, you've got around 15 mins left or so on regulation.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn,

Unfortunately, the EverLED has, at most, 1/5 the wattage and costs $30 to $40 more. But I have to admit that the color will be better, and the EverLED is regulated. So your suggestion is well worth considering.

Paul

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, I wasn't thinking economics. I guess it depends on how much usage this light will get. If it's an occasional use, power out kind of light, I'd agree with you. If it's going to see daily use (especially indoors), then I'd pop for the Everled.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
The Sears Craftsman sounds like it might be a good idea, but I live in NYC, and Sears stores are few and far between. I looked for it on sears.com but could not find this light.

Thanks,

-barry

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
pedalinbob, PaulW, and Phaserburn: OK, I worked it out. In another thread, I got a dealer who sells Dorcy flashlights. I found the LED version of the Craftsman 4AA. They were cheap enough ($9.50) that I ordered one - actually two: one plastic and one aluminum ($22). I think they'll fit my needs best.

But I'm still keeping the Lightwave 2100 as a possibility. I personally like this light better, but I think my mom will like the Dorcy better.

Thanks to all who posted,

-barry