What do you do with old lights?

shrap

Enlightened
What do the flashlight collectors around here do with their old lights? Lights that don't deserve batteries, or have been superseded by newer, better, or more expensive lights.

I started out with a pile of old $5 lights that currently rot in my closet. I have a bunch of Minimags that will never see the light of day, or touch another AA battery. I have Solitares that I laugh at when I think of my Arc AAA. I have heavy 4D lanterns that emit less light than my E2e.

Then I have the Dorcy Coolblue, and a obsolete UK4AA that I can't get rid of.

But I've been very selective buying new lights, yet I still have a growing pile of stuff that I don't see any use for.

Do you guys just let the pile grow? Sell them for pennies on BST? Hack them up into mods of questionable value?

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
shrap said:
Do you guys just let the pile grow? Sell them for pennies on BST? Hack them up into mods of questionable value?

[/ QUOTE ]
All of the above. Last resort is donation. There are PLENTY Of folks out there who'd like nothing more than a cheapie flashlight for cheap - and you're probably helping a good cause with the donation.

Drjones

Enlightened
You could get one of the many maglight mods to give them a new lease on life.

There have been a few giveaways lately...I think that's really cool...

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
when I make myself, I will sell an unused light once in awhile. I just have to take to time to dig one out cuz the ones I do not use are in deep storage. Atually I have been more inclined to sell a newer light that I have been using right after I find a better replacement for it.

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
One of my really old lights came in handy during a blackout.
It's one of them Zelco's that has a flourescent tube and a little incan bulb and uses aaa's.
run time was only 2 hrs with the tube, the incan was almost useless.
You know what they say about a box of holsters, well I have a drawer of flashlights.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have lights and hulks of lights spread around everywhere. I have sold some of the better ones that I haven't used much, and I have given some away. But it is hard to part with them, even though I have more than I need.

I finally sold my Space Needle II for lack of use, even though it had the most beautiful beam of any of my lights. I would play with it often because it was fun, but I never chose it for serious use. I was afraid it might get damaged. I think I'm happier without it. The memories are good. And the guy I sold it to cherishes it. I know it's happy in its new home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

shrap

Enlightened
Donating my old lights sounds like a good idea...

But the lights that I have in my closet are way, way below the radar of anybody who reads CPF.

I'd prefer to donate the lights to people who don't have enough money to buy a single flashlight, not collectors who want modding lights or a backup-backup-backup-backup.

Maybe I should drop them off to the Salvation Army, or donate them to a charity.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shrap,

Just an idea, based on what I have seen others here do -- You could put together a package of lights that are not very heavy. Then offer to sell it for the price of shipping to anyone without a job.

Paul

rodmeister

Enlightened
If you're near SF I'd keep the old flashlights for loaning and bartering for the BIG ONE or if the power situation gets bad again.

During an emergency, your neighbors might ask/demand to borrow a flashlight and you would want to give them one you wouldn't miss if they failed to return it. Also during a real bad situation, you could use the junk lights for bartering; trading for water, gasoline, good will, etc.