led lenser?

Z

z_brenton_r_

hey,

im just staring out in the security business and i need a decent flashlight that i can attach to my belt,

at the moment the company i work for use the incar-rechargable Mag light, which dies in 5min flat, and when your chasing someone.. you need a decent light,

i was thinking of going with the Led lenser mt7 or P7, or maybe even the Led lenser p14.

your opinions would be appreciated

cheers

ledlensert7

Newly Enlightened
if this is still relevant I have the T7 (as the name sujests) and i absolutly love it - you get about 90mins of decent light from a set of aaa's and itr runs reasonbly well on rechargables the beam is stated to be about 200m but i would not be suprised if this is an underestimate on full power, as for price -you can get them about 1/2 price on ebay (£30 or $40ish) hope this helps (if i'm not to late)

LeifUK

Enlightened
LED Lenser seem to divide people on this forum. My subjective view is that there is better for the money. The light you mention uses 4 AAA cells. Assuming LSD NiMH cells such as Eneloop, each has 800 mAh giving a total energy available of 3200 mAh. Were you to choose a 2 AA light, you would have about 4000 mAh i.e. 1/4 more runtime for a given light output. And the 2AA light is not heavier, not bigger, and it is similarly priced. Also LED Lenser tend to be poorly regulated. So that 200 lumens output soon drops, and the beam gets dim. Lastly they do not use the latest LEDs so there are other makes with better LEDs that give better runtimes. The new Thrunite Neutron 2A is very bright and efficient. Quark torches are excellent. Well, there's loads out there. Check out reviews in the reviews section here.

I am sure some people will tell you the benefits of LED Lenser, and there are some, and they might be the best choice for your needs. :)

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread may be outdated, but I'll comment.
LED Lensers took my love for lights to a new level when I first found them 6 or 7 years ago. They are pretty decent lights & would serve you well...I own 4. What LeifUK said though is true "there is better for the money." Check out these 2 AA lights:

Thrunite 2AA - ClickHere
Quark AA2 - ClickHere
Fenix LD20 - ClickHere

In my experience these lights are far superior to the LED Lensers. I do not yet own the thrunite yet, but will soon. I own many quarks and many fenix lights, and can vouch for them first hand. If I were buying a new light today it would be the thrunite 2AA because of the UI and the new brighter XM-L LED.

utlgoa

Enlightened
Hold off on that Led Lenser purchase!

The company is going to upgrade the LED's for the entire product line, and there will be no price increase.

The lights will start being advertised in Mid-April 2011, and will go on sale June 1st 2011.

I'm looking forward to seeing Cree XPG's and XM-L Led's in some of the "upgraded" products.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Just to play Devil's Advocate :devil:, I do have an LED Lenser myself - in this case, a P14 - and for myself, the most attractive feature is it's focusing ability. It's not really the handiest of features - difficult to adjust in both directions one handed for instance - but the effects are quite stunning (well, that might be overstating the case a little ;) ). Set the head for a spot beam and you get a pretty tight beam that throws very well; set it to flood, and you don't get the black hole in the middle that some focusing lights suffer from - you do get a ring in the circle of light, but other than that, a very clean, even flood of light.

Other than that one stand out feature - great optics combined with a great focusing feature - I'd have to agree with the previous comments. Optics are LED Lensers speciality, but the rest is a bit, meh. :shrug:

Last edited:

kts

Enlightened
I just bought a P5 and a P7 and I must say that Im impressed.
I have a lot of Fenix flashlights and I still use them, but for throw you cant beat ledlenser, even the P5 using 1AA throws as far as my TK20...

jgreen71

Newly Enlightened
I have the LL T7 as well & its a great light. Yes there are better lights out there that are fully regulated but none of them ( that I know of) have the ability to focus from tight spot to smooth flood like the Lensers. Add easily available batteries (I use energizer lithium primaries or eneloops.) and decent runtimes on high with a long tail of lower output & it's a light I can always trust to work when I need it.