need to get MM projector... help!

iddibhai

Enlightened
ok need to get a portable multimedia projector for presentations. at work we have really nice really expensive ones, but this one will top out around 1200$. I've settled on DLP instead of lcd since i've seen perfectly nice photos be completely mucked on on due to lack of range on the projector end.

it is for my mom, who will be taking it to school as needed, so it has to light and portable and easy to set up.

looking at optoma but i never heard that name until today.. are they a decent marque? i know opTIma , not opTOma

Saaby

Flashaholic
I've window shopped for these a bit but as they're way out of my price range I haven't done very extensive research on them. That said:

Is mom a teacher or student? Could she get the school to buy a projector. My school has about 8.

I know of only 1 in the $1200 range (When looking in catalogues and such, however, my eyes seem to lock on the most expensive models so they could very well exist). It's an Epson, it's pretty small but I think it's LCD. DLP is definately the way to go.

How about eBay?

Most the ones at school are Ekie's--LCDs. Nice projectors for LCD.

iddibhai

Enlightened
she's definitely not a student /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif so she buys her own. gotta be new. any good brands/bad brands? comments etc more than welcome

specifically, looking at optoma expro 731.

Brock

Flashaholic
I am confused as to why you don't want LCD? Sharp amkes a couple of small ones that are pretty nice and bright. We use them for power point stuff. Then again the ones we use are 5000+ lumens and shoot to a 20x20 rear projection screen in a 2000 seat hall.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
DLP has way better contast than LCD. Also, beacause its not projecting light through 3 LCD panels, edges are sharper and you dont get a projection of the LCD lattice structure. DLP is going to overtake LCD in home cinemas,and any other application that demands good clarity. LCDs are fine for simple presentation stuff, but if you want to watch movies on it after work, DLP is the way to go.

iddibhai

Enlightened
i've used DLP and LCD projectors (i work in the media dept at my school part time, settig up for conferences and stuff). the LCD projectors are nice once you get tothe larger units with bright lamps and polys. lcd. but for small mobile, the DLPs are very nice. the PP presentation will be photo heavy and so good image is a must. for plain text any ol' lcd would do.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright now we are talking about something I really know about. First of all DLP is nice for video but not in the smaller units yet. If your main use is for computer then LCD is the way to as it is actually sharper. DLP uses three DMD's which stands for Digital Mirror Device and its main advanage is brightness and color reproduction. LCD units actually have a higher contrast ratio with some of they acheving 1000:1 however they tend to over saturate color. DLP is also going to be out of your price range as Texeas Instruments is the only maker of DMD's and they can charge what they want. Also for only $1200 you are not going to get I very good unit as they start at about $3000.

iddibhai

Enlightened
i was under the impression the multi-dmd devices are for the very high end, the portable units have one dmd and a 4 color wheel (same thing with low end lcds, one unit vs RGB for the higher end ones). don't think i've come across an LCD in the sub 1500 price point with that high a contrast ratio, while the dlps easily beat that. more comments and such would be most welcome.