Any SolidWorks users?

yclo

Flashaholic*
I have to use it for my course work and felt like drawing a soft drink can just for fun, however I'm stuck on the ring tab on the top. I just don't know how to model it, can someone give me some pointers?

fb2894fd.jpg

fb2894f7.jpg

fb2894f2.jpg

-YC

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 approaches: first draw it as integral with the can (most obvious solution). Second option is to draw it separately and composite it (attach it to correct point on can). Not sure if your software can do that. By attaching it, it will move with the can, yet be a separate object.

This is 3D CGI method. Most think 3D CGI is only animation. It isn't, as CGI is Computer Generated Imagery (for the complete novices reading this).

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
awesome drawing!

any chance you could make me a new can of flashahol for my avatar? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LukeK

Enlightened
I'm sorry yclo -- I'm not familiar with Solidworks. The only advice I can tell you without knowing how the program works is to see if it supports boolean operations. If it does then modeling/drawing the tab would be a breeze. I modeled a soft drink can not too long ago, here is a clip to show you the tab:

fb267b6f.jpg

yclo

Flashaholic*
Re: Any SolidWorks users? (3D CAD question)

Charles - Thanks, it is possible to draw seperate objects and assemble them together with SolidWorks. Afterall, it is an Engineering CAD software.

Roth - Maybe you should ask Luke instead..

Luke - No need to be sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, I'm not sure what you mean by boolean operations? I'm more stuck on how I should model the underside of the tab how the aluminium is curled.

ewick - Second that!

-YC

ewick

Enlightened

yclo,

Boolean operations allow you to create a composite solid. In AutoCAD for example, you have UNION, SUBTRACT, INTERSECTION, which will join, remove, and leave only the overlapping portions of two solids. That way you can create complex solids one feature at a time.

LukeK,

Just curious, what software package are you using?

LukeK

Enlightened

Ewick -- I use Lightwave 3d (7.5).

Also yclo -- Just like ewick said, booleans allow you to create two objects and remove or add one object from or to the other. Saves quite a bit of time and allows you to create some strange shapes/curves with ease.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

awesome work looke! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

i don't really care who gets my can of flashahol done...just so that it gets done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LukeK

Enlightened

hah roth -- perhaps I render you your can of flashahol and you make me a heatsink? :p

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Neat thing about Solidworks is they explicitly state when you register that it is OK to install it on your home box! I unsucessfuly tried to teach myself AutoCad, so got the Company to buy me a seat for SolidWorks and took a 3 day class. They say it is the easiest of the solid modeling/design programs to learn. I'm not up to speed enough to help with the beer can tab /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .

Larry

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

hmmmm.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

then are you going to pay me for the help with your mag mod? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

M

MeridianTactical

Hi Guys,

I could not help but Post...

On the side (in addition to Meridian Tactical) I consult Solidworks/Enginering and I still can sell Solidworks (Northeast region only). I even Worked at their main office...

Its a GREAT program for the $!

Good work on the can! Use the Decal feature in the Rendering program to add a logo...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

sooo....

how's my can of flashahol coming along? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LukeK

Enlightened

How's my free McLux coming?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i don't know...

i'm sure the skunks would be more than happy to provide you with a mclux if you drew me up a can of flashahol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LukeK

Enlightened

Get me a written contract.....

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

Haha. You guys are too much.

yclo I only have experience with AutoCad, and not much of that. Sorry!!!

fb15701b.jpg