New 2011 Inova T4 - XP-G!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the new Inova T4 last night. I saw that they had upgraded it from 200 to 227 lumens and longer runtime, as well as adding a medium output mode. So, I went ahead and splurged.

To my surprise, Inova/Nite Ize has gone Cree! I'm not 100% certain, but in comparing the led to my other lights, I'm almost positive they are now using a Cree XP-G. That would explain the increased output and runtime.

So, to cover the differences in this new T4 -

Exterior remains identical with the following exceptions: flat black finish has been glossed up a bit and deepened. And the previously bare tailcap now sports a nice INOVA in white letters. Looks good. Build quality remains totally rock solid.

The switch - they went back to the silent, squishier switch vs the recent one that had an audible click and tactile click feel. Not sure why, but Im thinking the sound?

5 modes - Hi/med/low, always comes on high. Momentary on, and double click from any level/off for strobe.

Output - a bit brighter, noticeably, than the 200 lumen version compared side/side. They have redesigned the reflector for the XP-G, and done a really good job. The beam is Eagletac-ish, with tight, bright spot and quite beefy corona before fading into spill. No rings/artifacts. Tint on mine is warmer than the decidedly blueish 2010 version. This one doesn't throw as well as the 2010, but I like the beam pattern much more. The spot is just as tight, but more lumens are in the corona vs 2010. The levels are decently spaced at 227/94/16 lumens, definitely useful additions. Medium is perfect for indoors. The runtime quote is up to 2.25hrs/6hrs/48hrs. From different sphere tests that I can remember done here on CPF, Inova is fairly accurate with their lumen claims with the T series. Its worth noting that Inova has adopted ANSI/NEMA FL1 standards.

The 2010 and prior had noticeable PWM in low mode. The 2011 has greatly reduced or eliminated it on med/low, a very welcome change.

Don't remember if Inova had AR coated lenses before, but they do now. No dust or marks anywhere in the head; good.

Continues to use the same charging cradle as before, so I ordered the light only from FU. If Inova is changing the rest of the T series to XP-G as well, I will be waiting on the new T1 for sure. Perhaps this change is an offshoot of NiteIze acquiring Inova and making them in China, don't know.

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased one plus a Battery extender.

Best Torch I've owned-beats my previous champion the MagCharger hands down.

Gives a brilliant white beam with just the right shape-no artefacts or black spots.

Nice positive switch and with just the right number of features; Full, Medium, Low, Strobe and Momentary.

Great build quality and handling.

A few minor foibles.

Only water resistant-the charging point appears particularly vulnerable but I can't understand why Inova haven't provided a rubber/plastic cover for the charging port. This sort of torch should be waterproof to at least 1m

There should be a scalloped head option as per Surefire E2 Defender.

Though I'm aware that Inova would like to retain some compatibility with their previous T4 series, they should have approached Mag Instruments and sought a licence to use the MagCharger dual ring feature allowing the unit to be placed in the charging cradle quickly and without precise alignment.

Overall though a great buy, bought from two dealers in the US as UK prices are through the roof!

Last edited:

Jonnyw2k

Newly Enlightened
Peter what store did you buy from and what was shipping like always a bit dubious with US to UK shipping

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
The T4 came via an eBay trader Yum Electronics and used standard shipping. Shipping costs were high about $30 US and it took about 14-16 days to arrive. But arrive it did and even bearing in mind the shipping costs, I saved a FORTUNE over a UK version. One point to bear in mind for UK users, it is NOT supplied with a UK plug so a 2-3pin adaptor is required. However the charger is multi voltage so no problem there. The Battery Extender was from a CPF Advertiser Battery Junction.com-keen price and a similar delivery time. Both products were bang on. All in all I paid about £120 ish for both-buying through a UK Supplier a local Nottingham supplier wanted £154.95 for the torch alone and the importer, Whitby Knives, had never heard of the Battery Extender. Assuming I could have got one it would have been £50+. So £120 and a wait compared with £200 with a smaller wait. I decided to hang on...

mrlysle

Enlightened
Yes, the T4 is equipped with the XP-G and AR lens. At least it's advertised that way on a popular site we all know as BJ. :)

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T4 is my least favorite Inova product. I've owned two and both failed due to water entry at the charge plug. The second time I was working on the car in the drive way when it started to drizzle. By the time I got it in the house it wouldn't charge. No amount of drying helped it. I tell you this so you don't have any problems. Keep it away from water!

Now having said that, Niteize customer service was superb. No questions asked. What new light do I want to replace it with. I told them I would prefer a T3. As soon as they received the T4 the new T3 was shipped. Love the T3. Though I don't like the T4 I would by an Inova product with Niteize at the helm anytime.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, water ingress seems to be a common problem with lights that have charge contacts. I've had water get inside several rechargeable lights, but I did exceed the IPX4 water-resistance rating by washing the lights with soap and water (part of testing for my reviews, but also to get rid of oils and dust before taking pictures). I disassembled the lights and managed to get rid of most of the water using compressed air, and after airing out for 24 hours, they were all fine. Needless to say, I use less water on rechargeable lights now...

The charge contacts are screws, and to make matters worse, Streamlights and the Inova have a small plastic alignment plate that is held in place by the screws. Neither of these are sealed by O-rings.