S-F 6PX Pro bump sensitivity cured

Stainz

Enlightened
This is a separate thread from the l-o-n-g 6PX thread for a reason - so you can find tis without getting bloodshot eyes!

I had a new 6PX Pro put up for Christmas. I read the intermittent nature of new S-F lites in this series, so I elected to 'test' my goodie a bit early. Mrs. Stainz retrieved it from her hiding place and I took it out of the blister pack. It's 'bump' sensitivity was easily demonstrated out of the pack - and again, after I tightened the tailcap. I tapped it in the middle of the body tube while it was in the low mode - and it would switch to high. It never switched off, however - just low to high.

I unscrewed the tailcap and removed the cells. I wiped them - and the tailcap spring - on a clean white cotton sock - and reassembled. Problem solved. Solid whacks of my hand's heel against a table, while holding said light in low, produced no change. I feel certain it was fingerprints/skin oil that needed to be removed. The gold plated domed + connector on the head shouldn't need any cleaning. Yes, it could be that simple - try it before returning this neat flashlight. Lesson learned from my Fenix P2D!

Stainz

Wednesday AM Addendum: I was wrong! A bit more oomph - hold it in your fist and punch your other hand - and it changes from low to high! @#%$^!! Bumping it - ie, light taps, wont change it. I tried a toothpick tips amount of conductive paste on the copper wipers in the tailcap - no change. Next, I tried a similar amount on the + terminals of the CR123 cells. Finally, I tried a 6P LEDs tailcap. In all cases, a significant jarring - that held in a fist and punching the empty hand - would change it from low to high mode. Rolling it off my desk to fall to a floor (carpet!) did not change it, however. In normal use, I cannot imagine a situation where it would be a problem. Certainly, an incandescent bulb, if left on in a similar event, would likely fail, ie, switch to the permanent low level when the filament broke. At least they have for me. Perhaps the fist punch is a bit too much... it doesnt switch every time even then - maybe one in three times.

I am not as tickled with this light as I was initially. It is no replacement for my E2DL, an earlier 2-mode model. Of course, it's half the cost. The 'low mode first' will make it a better grab in those dark trips down the hall at night - cat avoidance is assured. Illuminating my wooded backyard in a pitch black night was on a par with the E2DL, both on high mode. The spill on the 6PX Pro seemed greater. Dark room ceiling illumination proved that, as well. The beam maximum brightness was very similar to the E2DL's, but warmer - and you could see a pronounced edge effect - six notches on the outter edge of illumination. There is no free lunch - it is a value for the price paid - and will make a great bedside light. The E2DL will go to my bug out/emergency kit. I cleaned the added conductive lube out with Q-tips and it behaves similarly.