The Mag Daddy: Big Head Prototype

Otokoyama

Enlightened
The 2D Mag-lite looks about right, with the head well proportioned to the body, but when you start adding D cells ... 3, 4, 5, 6 ... Mag-lites begin to take the appearance of Schlitzie the pinhead. Something had to be done.

After you study the Mag-lite, you figure out that producing light is a secondary purpose. It's a miracle of mass manufacture, with tolerances so loose that the resulting beam is no surprise, but it can be purchased for little more than the price of the raw aluminum that comprises it.

Law enforcement and security professionals are in a position to legally utilize the Mag-lite's true talents as a non-threatening, barely disguised defensive tool. The rest of us scratch our heads and think about peaceful ways to put all that beautiful machined aluminum to use ... and just maybe even converting one into a credible flashlight.

With my wife busy working all weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif and my responsibility for watching the kids delegated to a DVD player /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif, I had a full day in the garage to create a prototype to: <ul type="square">[*]utilize a Carley 3" reflector with a stock Mag body [*]try out a technique for mounting a removable lens without a bulky retaining ring [*]create and try out a jig for milling the reflector cams for a possible run of drop-in "orange peel" Mag reflectors.[/list]The day's goals were: <ul type="square"> [*]create a drop-in component that provides a field (i.e. consumer) upgrade without tools [*]preserve the focus mechanism, which in my opinion is only useful to dial in the focus on different types of bulbs [*]tighten up the bulb-to-reflector fit (the Mag's Achilles' heel) to provide a consistently high-quality beam [*]preserve or enhance esthetics of appearance and feel [*]provide focus in either direction without "locking up" or unscrewing the head if you turn the head too far in either direction [*]need not preserve the defensive talents, which are hopefully of rare use by the average consumer.[/list]Here's the Mag Daddy drop-in big head prototype:
MagDaddyHead-s.jpg

I used Delrin because I didn't have the right size aluminum.

Here's a shot of the respective business ends:
MagDaddyLens-s.jpg

The lens ... Acrylite, of course, though with a groove cut in the edge that securely holds an O-ring, mating with a similar groove in the reflector. Press fit. Quite tight. Haven't assessed if it's waterproof yet.

Otokoyama

Enlightened
Here's the internal mechanism. Not very interesting, but tight and effective. Whoever invented digital calipers gets my vote for California governor!
MagDaddyWorks-s.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Otokoyama, great post!
And cool reflector, too.
bernhard

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Otokoyama,

Oooh. That is nice. You have something magnificent there. Yeah, the esthetics are definitely improved.

I sure would like to see a cross-sectional drawing (through a plane that contains the axis). It would be fun to see how everything fits together.

For one thing, I'm wondering how you secured the lens.

Paul

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice!

i've always like the idea of turboheads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
i really need to get some carley reflectors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

shrap

Enlightened
Preserving the focusing ability to compensate for different bulbs sounds like a great idea. But once you have it dialed in for max throw, there should be some way of "locking down" the head so that it doesn't go out of focus, like an locking collar or something.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I am thinking that if the ID of the head is sized correctly, the o-ring should do the job of holding the focal position fairly well in place.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeez! Very nice Oto. Which reflector did you use? The 2102? Can't wait to see some beam shots. if you ever bring these to market, I think I'd be interested in picking one up to try.

Well done!

Wilkey

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is pretty neat. Definately much prettier. I'd go as far as to say I am a bit stunned. Can't wait for the waterproof test. Are you planning to do one?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude, like it. Can it be used with 5 watt Luxeon mods, like the Hotlips, for instance?

(hope hope!)

Also, it would be possible to replace the Derlin with aluminum, right?
That would add a lot of material for heatsinking, in just the right place, no?

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big Bad Daddy... What Oring cross-section did you use? The lens rests on the aluminium surface, right? Or just floating by the oring? Is the diffusion on the in- or outside? And, what thickness is that lens?

Otokoyama

Enlightened
NewsFlash: I'll resist the temptation to provide beamshots, since the reflector is polished aluminum with many tool marks, not the superior metalized (or metalized and stippled) variety. Since I'm using an Acrylite lens, the beam is, of course, perfectly shaped.

PaulW: Since I hacked this out as a rough prototype to test the concept, I just have crude hand sketches, no nice drawing.

PaulW & AilSnail: The lens "floats" within the reflector using only contact with a 1/16" diameter O-ring. Both the outside edge of the lens and the inside edge of the reflector are grooved. It seems quite secure. The lens is removed by poking a padded rod through the inside of the reflector and hitting hard.

shrap & MR Bulk: Since this is machined from tightly fitting Delrin, the focus is quite well locked by friction only. If I made the same from aluminum, I would adopt MR Bulk's O-ring idea, which would provide a good friction "lock" without metal-to-metal wear or risk of galling and still permit the reflector to rotate without wobbling.

Ginseng: I used a stock Carley 2101 (3" parabolic, no set screw), since that's what I had sitting around.

AilSnail: Regarding waterproofness, I was referring to the concept. In my haste to build this, I got some tool chatter on the reflector's O-ring groove, due to either a dull tool or poor choice of lathe speed. This particular one is not likely to be waterproof.

The diffusion surface is on the outside, since in MR Bulk's test of Acrylite, this resulted in the most output.

shankus: The 3" reflector could be used with a 5W emitter, such as in this lensless 1W light where the threaded copper heatsink/pedestal actually holds it all together:
1W3inchBB400.jpg

With the stock configuration of the Carley 2101, a 5W emitter would need to be on a heatsink with a fairly long integral pedestal. There's 1.2" around the (then useless) focusing piston to pack with electronics driven off the bulb power supply. Hmmm ... might make a nice drop-in mod "kit", you supply the emitter, electronics, and appropriate Mag body for the desired voltage.

jtice

Flashaholic
muuuuuuuhahahahahahahaha !

Very beefy. I like it!
Im liking these turbo head type projects more and more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent work, otok
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif