5W McModule On 3 Volts -- Pics

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I am looking to make the smallest 5W light mod with output matching, or at least approaching, that of the now-discontinued Space Needle II.

To that end, there has been the Baby Pin (still some developmental teething problems going on with the circuitry), and last night I was messing around with the new Fox 1x123 light kindly sent to me by another CPF'er (Thanks, Johnny!).

Figuring it wouldn't hurt, I said what the heck and tried one of the McModules I had laying around. To my surprise, it threaded in part way, enough to allow the single CR123 battery to make anodic contact. Here it is next to the standard Pelican PM6 (note dramatic size difference):

fb27fb03.jpg

And so I fired'er up:

fb27fb0d.jpg

VERY nicely bright actually, although a touch less than running on the full 6V. Hmmm, dat2zip and I need to talk after he comes back from the CPF camping trip...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
oh ... yeah!
this is getting VERY interesting on a certain island far far away ...
bernhard

jcciv

Newly Enlightened
Cool, glad that the little guy made it there safely. Funny, I had never thought about trying the McModule in there. I will have to give this a whirl tomorrow. Now if the Pelican reflector can be cut down and attached too....waahhooo!!!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hi John, Thanks again! And a "whirl" is about all you will be able to give it too, as it will stop screwing in right about there -- the threads are a Definite mismatch...