Flashlight noob looking for advice on buying a new light

Z

z_Iram

Good morning,

I'm a flashlight noob looking for a new light for daily carry in a pocket. The light needs to be usable with a handgun. I'd really appreciate input from some flashlight experts.

Currently I have a Icon Rogue, 50 lumen version. My only complaints about it is that the switch tends to get turned on in my pocket (thus running the battery down), and that it doesn't work for a cigar-type hold when shooting a handgun.

After googling, it seems like the SureFire A2Z would be idea, but it's about twice what I'm willing to spend. The Surefire G2Z looks decent but doesn't have a low-light mode. The Fenix TK12 has a nice set of modes (it could be left at 90 lumens for carry, with the option to switch down to 9 lumens for mundane tasks). The Surefire G2X Pro with a Combat Ring added also looks good, but it seems like that would have the same problem as my Icon flashlight with the light getting turned on in my pocket.

Thanks guys.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I plan to buy online, preferably through amazon.com or midwayusa.com.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Around $100, with some wiggle room.

3) Format:

I want a handheld flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Every day carry medium. Around 5 or so.

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

Either AA or CR123 batteries prefered.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

Ideally Id like a dual output light with a low (where did I drop my keys) 5-20 lumen setting and a high (I need to shoot a target 50 feet away in pitch black) ~50-100 lumen mode. Im thinking of the low mode as optional but really nice to have.

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light?

Normal use is going to be 0-10 yards, max reallistic distance 15 yards with a small change of use out to 25 yards.

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

The longer the better. I don't want to be constantly changing out batteries. One hour is an absolute minimum.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important. I've already had two issues with intruders in my apartment (while I was out) in the last two years. I don't want a light crapping out on me if I have uninvited guests around when I get home from work.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

Either momentary or constant on. I'd appreciate some feedback on this.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

Ideally Id like two output levels: the light going into high output by default when its grabbed in an emergency by someone pumped up on adrenaline (caveman-mode) due to a bump in the night, along with a battery saving low output that could be used for mundane tasks.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Plastic or aluminum.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

1. The flashlight needs to have a ring so it can be used with a handgun using the Rogers/Surefire/Cigar/Syringe technique (whatever you want to call it).

2. A holster or belt clip for use in shooting matches would be a big plus, but it will generally be carried in a pants pocket.