whats the oddest thing you have eaten?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well ive led a bland diet.so its just shark and gator.what have youy eaten.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steamed bugs of some kind,
Ate those things in Korea and they were OK I guess. Barnacles in Korea also along with raw octopus, fish, squid and the like. Some things I might have eaten were washed away with "Etch-A-Sketch" (Soju--drink some, shake your head and your brain disappears ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I believe I ate some fried ants and chocolate covered grasshoppers (or crickets) when I was in 6th grade. My teacher (Mr. Kauffman, I think) gave some of the students cans of these to eat at home.

I also remember eating escargot (fried snails?) at the Juneau International Airport sometime in the mid-1980s. Problem there, is that I *LIKED* them, even though they weren't exactly the least expensive items on the menu. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o lol i forgot one time i was a tad drunk and went to a asian place and i was eating some buffet food and this thing looked like a small octupus. so i told amy dont this look like a octupus.she said that is a octupus. i have no idea if it was or not

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mrd 74-

I'm glad you cleared that up...re:beaver...I think? But now that I think about it, I once had a girlfriend that had buck teeth and a flat tail.

GregR /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

P.S. Always thought it was cool to having a beaver on your nickels.

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
I worked in the Amazon jungle for six months or so and the menu regularly featured Armadillo, Giant Guinea Pig, Anaconda and assorted other small critters and fish. Only rule was it had to be alive when the cook got it, recently deceased things get ripe fast in 100 deg 99% humidity. In the 1950's USAF survival training we caught and cooked a lot of small rodents, insects, fish and snakes.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Rattlesnake, calf fries, goats brain, and I feel certain I ate some monkey in the Philippines along with some other interesting items. I paid a lady to eat 4 Balouts in the Philippines as I watched (take an egg let it half develop then bury it under sand for a few weeks or longer. Take it out, crack off the top of the shell and suck it out. It stinks and I didn't try one)

Rex

Newly Enlightened
Balut is delicious. To westerners, it is the thought of eating a partially developed duck embryos that is gross. It is never eaten raw. Just like Indian food, it is an acquired taste.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've had many of the items mentioned above, however I guess I'd have to put "muktuk" (whale skin) & seal as the strangest/rarest item that I've ever tried.

We were at a "Wildgame Barbeque" here in Anchorage..I noticed that most folks had two large slices of bread on their plates.

I asked, "Why all the bread?"
Reply, "You ever try seal?"
Me, "Nope."
Reply, "You'd better get more bread!"

Man that was the fishiest tasting stuff...I was burping it up the rest of the day...Nope, don't need to try seal again! BTW, the muktuk wasn't much better!

RevDavid

Enlightened
RE: Weird foods

I ate a gnat the other day, but that was an accident. I have had frog legs many times, alligator, ostrich, (and then there was the incident with the mill beetles in the snack mix at college, but that was another accident.)
I guess my weird food quotient (WQ) is rather low./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
David <><

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: RE: Weird foods

whats interesting if we choose food by how it apered id never eaten my fave food.s i mean look at a lobster to me it looks like a huge roach.shrimp like odd bug.but yummy yummy

RewopEldnac

Newly Enlightened

I've had boar, pigeon, snake, frog, dog and maybe the worst of all for westerners is durian fruit.

hula

Newly Enlightened

Jellied eel is just about the worse thing that I've had the dis-pleasure of putting in my mouth. Kinda the consistency of chewy snot but with lots of bones and a taste that captures that river smell perfectly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif
Kangaroo is nice though better than croc imo also snails are not as bad as they sound but perhaps the garlic sauce I had them with covered up some of the real taste.

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened

Whole lambs head, ban sawed into two halves and baked. It's an Italian dish that my Mom made for my Dad, called Gaboutsele(sp?). Not much to look at, with the brains and eyes all exposed, but it sure smelled great when cooking. I only ate the jowel meat really. I remember my Mom telling me never to eat this dish out anywhere because she knew how much time it took her to clean out the nasal cavities. "No problem Ma"

aso

Enlightened

Dinty Moore and Spam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*

lol i had spam once in a huricane it was awefull