Burning out one XPG in a Tri/Quad XPG light?

Noctis

Enlightened
Hi folks,

I've asked milky to make me a triple XPG module due to the lack of Direct Drive Moddoo Triples when I made the order(this was before the V3 release). I was sort of aiming for 1000 OTF lumens, though it might be overkill in some ways. Still, he said he wanted to keep the current conservative at 2.6-2.8A draw to prevent the possibility of one emitter burning out before the other 2, causing a cascade effect which would quickly fry the other 2. This way, I could still use the light with the 2 remaining emitters.

The one thing that's been bothering me is that my searching of related topics on this forum hasn't turned up anything regarding this. To begin with, I'm not even sure what conditions would cause one emitter to fail before the other 2. The only ones I know of would be if one of the emitters becomes overdriven(more than 1.5A I assume), or if I turn the light on at full power and leave it sitting on the table for half an hour. Neither of which seems likely, all things considered.

I could just be greedy, but with a solid copper module it just seems besides the point to use a low current setup. Though IIRC, the Malkoff M61 puts out 250+ OTF lumens at less than 1A draw, and some people mentioned that the XPG is more efficient at lower levels. Still, he did put his Elendil firmware in there which I assume is very flexible with various power levels. So it only seems natural to raise the bar a bit to take advantage of that(high to impress or scare people, medium to use, and low for emergencies).

In any case, is this a valid concern? I've yet to burn out any of my lights, I don't leave my light on and unattended, and I doubt I would continue to use a triple if one of the emitters is fried.