What one experience gave you the "flashlight bug" and what do you use your lights for

Colinsdad

Newly Enlightened
Well, since I can't seem to find the right place to post this thread, hopefully this is the right forum (Mods feel free to migrate if not).

My girlfriend and I were talking about this obsession I have with lighting...both with flashlights and vehicle lighting. In both cases, I find that both responses were the same- to help me see better in the dark and give me an advantage when there is one to be had. What I explained to her is, to get a leg up on vehicle lighting, I go to DanielStern lighting consultancy and, for flashlights, I come here. When she asked me what got me started in this hobby and why I continue to be involved in it, those answers were simple...

When I was 16 years old, I recieved my Eagle Scout rank through the Boy Scouts, and, as a reward, my Troop helped fund a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Cimmaron NM to go for a 2 week expedition on the Philmont Ranch. Now, up to that point, I figured I was well-prepared as I could be....I figured I thought of everything...up to n including my lighting. Afterall, we would be LITERALLY in the middle of nowhere with nothing to guide us other than a map, a compass and our gear (GPS wasnt even around then-even though map reading SHOULD be standard practice/learning for those who venture outdoors- but I digress). Back in the day, the BEST light on the market for EDC was the Maglite AA...it could focus in and out, run off AAs, and even had this cool lantern feature! LOL! Yeah, well, all that changed once I got out to NM and learned the value of having the best gear for the situation.

Imagine trying to navigate by waning light or complete utter darkness, in the middle of nowhere, and having a light that could barely illuminate 10 in front of you effectively....THAT would be why I became so enamored of high-end flashlights!! I promised myself that I would ALWAYS have the right lighting for the task, regardless of whether I had to bend some rules to use it.

For example, in my position as a Ssgt. trainer for Propulsion (Jets), I find that the lights the USAF deems us capable of using are ABYSMAL!!!! They just plain DONT do the job! For example- every one of our tool boxes has a good ole honkin 3 D cell Mag incandescent. Really. Now, I must say that combat troops are given better lighting (as they should!) as its a life or death situation for them when they go to their lighting on station 99% of the time, but, I work on the aircraft that GETS them into theatre, so, I figured, why shouldnt we get decent lighting as well? I cant count the number of times that Im called to the flightline at dusk or nighttime to do a job, and the Mag craps out on us- either crappy batteries, burned out bulb, or just plain old wear and tear. I for one, bring ALL kinds of goodies into work, and literally have to hide them as theyre not a controlled item. Now, say what you will, but, I KNOW Im not going to leave say, a 100$ Lumapower somewhere or use it as a hammer or something equally as dumb, so Im OK with taking a write up should I be caught with my illegal tool. I figure that the ends justify the means and if that means the job is done the right way the 1st time around because I have the right lighting, then so be it.:ironic:

Anyway, how about YOU? What was your AH HA moment, and what keeps bringing you back for more lights? Im curious to see what others stories are.