Yellowstone Super Volcanoe

2dogs

Enlightened
I've been reading a bit about this lately. My 10yo loves to read about volcanoes also. Does anyone have any good links or "real" info on this?

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
2dogs

The Discovery Channel has been running a program on that very subject. I won't go into detail but the research started with a geologist in Yellowstone. Incredible stuff that wound up giving me goosebumps.

Go to their website to see when the program will be aired again. I believe it was simply called "Super Volcanoes".

Marty

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Yellowstone Super Volcano

It was assumed that Yellowstone was an extinct volcanic, with residual heat driving the geysers and such, for many years. That changed when a USGS Geologist noticed that the lake had flooded trees on one end, and wondered why. He did another elevation survey, and was surprised to find that the center of the caldera has bulged upward. Then they placed extremely sensitive seismometers around the park to learn what was going on down below. What they found, is a Magma chamber that is 40 kilometers long, 20 kilometers wide, and 10 kilometers thick, and growing.

Further research determined that the eruptive cycle is 600,000 to 800,000 years, and the new magma chamber places it right at 600,000 years! Unfortunately, these super volcanoes erupt with such violence, that everything within a 500 kilometer radius will die in the eruption itself. Global effects are catastrophic. The last super volcano to erupt, was Mount Toba, in Indonesia, about 74,000 years ago, and that one nearly wiped out the entire human population on Earth.

There are 6 or 7 known super volcanoes, globally, and the contiguous USA has 2 of them (the other one is in California).

The above information, came from the Discovery Channel program, which I watch every time it comes on (periodic airing). It was just on several weeks ago.

If you get Dicovery Channel, keep an eye out for it, as it is very informative, and in some parts, actually funny. Particularly where a geologist is inside the caldera, and wondering where the caldera is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kev1-1

Enlightened

I think that they may have shown the same documentary (or very similar) on the BBC, over here. I second the vote that it is worth watching...its pretty well done!

LightChucker

Enlightened
It just so happens that we were planning another trip to Yellowstone in early October.

It's been about 7 years since our first visit. At that time we spent one night at Old Faithful Inn. Talk about giving you goose bumps, right outside the window of our room the ground was bubbling and simmering. Information at the various geysers and mud pots warned that these things can blow up at any time, without warning, and that new ones can erupt anywhere. They were also very up-front about the fact that the volcano was going to blow up again some day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I wish travel logs would show things like the ground simmering under the hotel.

Chuck

2dogs

Enlightened
CB thanks, that's great info. We are now planning a trip there for next spring. If it blows while I'm there I'll wave as I'm flying by.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charles-

You said the continental US has two of these super volcanos the second being in California. The California one is it Mt. Shasta?

GregR

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charles, I found the thread.

For all you young folks; I worked in Yellowstone the summer of 1961; left the stage after graduation from High School in West Tennessee, and took off. Had a durn ball, was successful chasing the ladies, and damn near got eaten by a female Griz at Fishing Bridge one night. Caught a boat load of trout, and a few other things.

National Geographic had an article on the super-volcanoes, can't remember the issue, will try to look it up.

This probably ranks right up there with collisions with comets/asteroids in its potential to repeat the dinosaur thing; except it'll be US ! No bull.

I just did a Google search for "super volcanoes" and got a zillion hits.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link for the other US super volcano, PercaDan.

Generally, super volcanoes are distinguished by a huge Caldera, and more importantly: no cone. The only exception, may be Krakatoa, as there is a huge caldera on the ocean bottom (recently discovered), and Krakatoa is well known for its violence.

Mt. Shasta is a standard strato volcano (vesuvius type), who's magma is extremely thick rhyolite (same as St. Helens).

Given what has been learned, there seems to be 2 types of super volcanoes, both having a huge caldera.

Type I: No cone(s) in caldera.

Type II: One or more cones in caldera.

Given that the Long Valley super volcano is uplifting (bulging), it is being primed for eruption. The problem, as usual, is when.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charles /PercaDan-

Thanks for the great info, I'm off to search on google.

GregR

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Pretty cool stuff here. Sometimes I wonder if a scientific job with the USGS would be right for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

One thing I can say about some of the Yellowstone speculation is:

"The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Super volcanoes erupt rarely, and the 'window' is a wide one. In the case of Yellowstone, it is 200,000 years, and just recently entered into a 'window'.

Generally speaking, the greater the event, the less frequent it is.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

A monster awakens?

"Steam pressure is apparently building again in Yellowstone, and hydrothermal fluids and steam are working their way up through fractures and vents. If more steam vents appear, that means a continuous pathway for pressure release has been established to the magma chamber. If that happens, the pressure in the magma chamber will continue to drop until it reaches a critical stage when the superheated water within the magma explodes. Unfortunately, as the steam venting subsides, there will be a false sense of security. People will think it was just another cyclical event, and the danger is over. But that will be the farthest from the truth. It will be the quiet before the storm.

[The Yellowstone supervolcano] has been on a regular eruption cycle of 600,000 years. The last eruption was 640,000 years ago, so the next is long overdue...."