New PALight Star and Selector models from Safe-Light

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still waiting for my own lights to arrive, from the special CPF offer for November (see Good Deals subforum on the Marketplace). But other members have already started to receive theirs, so I will start this as a place to discuss their impressions of the lights features, function, possible modding etc. Here is a summary of the models to start:

Common to both models is the 9V battery power source, included. Batteries are changed by seperating the case in the middle, which is held shut with a metal band with a hook and loop sort of closure. You only need to squeeze the case to unhook it, no tools required.

They also employ the trademark Safe-Light always on glow feature to find the light in the dark. This will last up to 2 years on an alkaline battery. It can not be disabled on these models (only their Handyman model has a toggle function for the glow).

They use a focusing lense, more like the Survival model, but with slightly wider beam. This means they will not have the wide spill that the Handyman model has, but will throw farther. The LED used is the latest Nichia DS, in white only at this time.

Star:

Simple side button click to turn on, click to turn off. Also has unique 25 minute shut-off feature to save batteries in the event of accidental leave-on. Also includes a lanyard. Currently offered in red, blue, green and orange case colors.

Selector:

A seven level light. To turn on, you press and hold as it ramps from low up to the level you want, 3.5 seconds to high. At the desired level, release the button. Just click once to turn off. Repeat from the start each time. No lanyard or auto shut-off feature. Currently only offered with a black case color.

I will add my own impressions as soon as my lights land :D.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still waiting for my own lights to arrive, from the special CPF offer for November (see Good Deals subforum on the Marketplace). But other members have already started to receive theirs, so I will start this as a place to discuss their impressions of the lights features, function, possible modding etc. Here is a summary of the models to start:

Common to both models is the 9V battery power source, included. Batteries are changed by seperating the case in the middle, which is held shut with a metal band with a hook and loop sort of closure. You only need to squeeze the case to unhook it, no tools required.

They also employ the trademark Safe-Light always on glow feature to find the light in the dark. This will last up to 2 years on an alkaline battery. It can not be disabled on these models (only their Handyman model has a toggle function for the glow).

They use a focusing lense, more like the Survival model, but with slightly wider beam. This means they will not have the wide spill that the Handyman model has, but will throw farther. The LED used is the latest Nichia DS, in white only at this time.

Star:

Simple side button click to turn on, click to turn off. Also has unique 25 minute shut-off feature to save batteries in the event of accidental leave-on. Also includes a lanyard. Currently offered in red, blue, green and orange case colors.

Selector:

A seven level light. To turn on, you press and hold as it ramps from low up to the level you want, 3.5 seconds to high. At the desired level, release the button. Just click once to turn off. Repeat from the start each time. No lanyard or auto shut-off feature. Currently only offered with a black case color.

I will add my own impressions as soon as my lights land :D.

Did you ever get them, review ?

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I have several different PALight models (I quite like them, particularly as emergency lights around the house).

What did you want to know about them ? (specific questions please, so I don't waffle on about things you have no interest in).

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several different PALight models (I quite like them, particularly as emergency lights around the house).

What did you want to know about them ? (specific questions please, so I don't waffle on about things you have no interest in).

I have eight Safe-light Superbright 9v from 2006, just wondered what the review, if done, was like.

Also I bought six Pal-lights, which I gave away as presents.

I now use DX AAA clip torches, which I prefer, and fit easier in pocket and hand.
"3W" LED Flashlight with Clip (1*AAA)

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/3w-led-flashlight-with-clip-1-aaa-14881

1½ stops brighter

My Superbrights sit in a drawer now, just a couple with their nightglow around the house.

These too !!!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...rch-%A31.50-with-quot-night-glow-quot-feature

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...amp-Mk2-%A31.50-(-2.75)&p=1599195#post1599195

(Lithium 9V fit these too !)

Last edited:

DaveG

Enlightened
I have quite a few Pal/Safe-lights,the Star model is great and sits at the ready on my bed side table.I just wish this model did not have the auto off feature.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three PALights, a red and Green Survivor series and then a white single mode thinks that's the Star.
I really like them for checking on my baby boy.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, abvidledUK, I missed your post last fall, I did forget to update here when I got my lights. Good news is now I have over a year of use on them, so it's more than just an initial impression!

I too have the "Superbright" from the first buy offered by James, now called the "Handyman", so I tend to compare with that model. Peak brightness is at least similar to the Handyman, as is current draw on max. (all that the Star has). But as expected, the beam is way different with the focusing lens. Very tight, throwy beam. For those who don't want that, the lens is easily pried out of the rubber body, and a AAA Minimag lens is a perfect fit. I also tried wrapping one of my lenses with Glad Press'n Seal, which worked well also.

Ironically, the low on the Handyman model is lower than the lowest mode of the Selector, which was the only real dissapointment. James took the suggestion to widen the spread of the modes, and said we may see that in a later version. Despite that, the current draw shows that run time will be very good on low for the Selector. At about 12 mA, it is just about double what I get on low for the Handyman. As for the highs, I find it puzzling that is as high as it is, but I show about 60 mA for both lights at max. brightness.

I do prefer the slightly smaller dimensions of the PALight style. And while you can remove the retaining band without a coin, it is a little tricky to do, so for around the house, I just leave it off, the light works fine without it. In fact, since these models have actual snap-in battery fittings in the head, instead of the springs in the Handyman, you can leave the whole bottom of the body off.

I guess my final opinion of them could be summed up by the fact that I have been using a Selector with a diffused lens at the bedside for the past year, and am quite happy with it. Using a fairly dead 9V, it comes on about the same brightness as the low of the Handyman, and differs in operation that I need to hold it to turn on, and single press to turn off. The Handyman is the opposite, and mine has a double flash of high as it turns off.

One negative of the Selector/Star design is a lack of access to the LED for modding. While it is a wrestling match to slide the Handyman body out of the rubber body, once out it is a snap to change the LED. I really like the less-blue CO tint Nichia's, and I put one in my Handyman, and would do the same to the Selector if I thought I could without destroying it.

I am glad to see in our world of XP-G's and XM-L's that there is still interest in these little 5 mm workhorses. I never travel without a Safe-Light product in my bag. Best of all, they are lights that I never have, and never will, need to buy batteries for!

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought two of the Selector models when they were offered here back in late 2010.
I had intended on getting some more as gifts, but the metal band would have been a showstopper for the intended recipients.

Shortly after I got them, I lost interest in lights and they just sat on our respective nightstands unused.

I just went and checked on them. The batteries that came with them were just about exhausted after 15 months of glow operation.
Replaced the batteries and they are good to go again. One of mine does not glow as bright as the other one, but that's no biggie.

Have to give these a decent comparison against the Gerber Infinity Ultra's I regularly use.