Got my Lumintop TD-15: one word...

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
SSSWWWEEEEETTT! It's EVERY BIT the single XP-G R5 thrower I'd been looking for, and then some! The quality is top-notch, ESPECIALLY at the price; with CPF discount from Flashlights-N-Gear it was a GREAT deal shipped...PRIORITY!!!

Seriously...the features and output this light has are RARELY seen in a light at this price. Aesthetically, its a VERY sharp looking light; the SS crenelated bezel and tail switch guard add a really nice look to a light that (IMHO) wouldve been pretty sharp looking even without them! The only cam I own is a cell phone cam, so any pics I could post would be LESS helpful than those posted at most vendors websites...and beamshots are out of the question. But what I can do for anybody who may be on the fence about the TD15 is to give some HONEST, straight-forward answers to any questions you may have about this light. For now, all I can tell you is that the throw/output is nothing short of impressive, and like I said above, the build quality (initial impression) is EXCELLENT for a light of this price range...actually for darn near ANY price range! Im EXTREMELY pleased with this purchase!!! A BIG :thumbsup: to Flashlights-N-Gear for the great price and EXCELLENT service!

PJD

Soda

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix PD30 r2 (235 lumens) and a jetbeam M1XM (750 lumens) and am looking for an in-between light with nice throw. How far would you say the throw is for useful light?? is the beam darker in the center (even slightly?) and is the beam floody enough to use at close range?

Kingdomseeder

Newly Enlightened
I have lurked on these threads for so long, and it seems as though every time I make a decision on a light. someone posts about another light that I might have gotten. I have purchased a few lights through the years and am now thinking about another that might be 18650 or 2 cr123. I had thought seriously about this light and then it was the Catapult. Too many decisions. I like floody but then again spot can come in handy sometimes. Thanks again for making the decision I had more difficult with a new recent post :duh2:

grandeson

Newly Enlightened
I hear you. Im in the same boat. I do find myself coming back to the lumintop 15 series. Im actually leaning toward the td15 for the UI. I hear it has better throw, but id like to know f it has a decent amount of flood to make me happy. If anyone can chime in, let me know

Trident1

Newly Enlightened
One of my favorite lights too. Had mine about 3 months now and it's got super throw for its size. Spill is decent too, so not like some of the soda straw throwers. The reflector is not a very big diameter, but makes up for that in depth - overall a little bigger than I want all the time, but when I'm headed somewhere I need throw and don't want to carry a baton length light - this is perfect.

Soda

Newly Enlightened
I heard that the head had some wobble. is that true and how much? Also the ui sounds difficult so to anyone thats used it, is it easy enough to operate for every day use?

herosemblem

Enlightened
My Td15 doesn't have head wobble. The UI is sort of an annoyance, so I keep it always in turbo mode. Basically I only use the light in turbo. The head is always tightened in turbo and is never touched.
What I dislike is that the light likes to jump between the two sets of modes on its own. I'll turn on the light and it comes on in low, or medium, or sometimes high. Then I'll need to do the annoying mode-switch fast twitching action to get the light back into turbo mode. I don't like that the light has a mind of its own. Yes, the contacts are clean and the batteries fresh.

I also dropped the light from 3 feet onto cement, which cracked the lens. I cannot access the cracked lens because the crenelated bezel is welded on. Might as well be, because I could not remove it with vice grips. You will enjoy the light for a few weeks, but after that, the problems start occurring.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Td15 doesn't have head wobble. The UI is sort of an annoyance, so I keep it always in turbo mode. Basically I only use the light in turbo. The head is always tightened in turbo and is never touched.
What I dislike is that the light likes to jump between the two sets of modes on its own. I'll turn on the light and it comes on in low, or medium, or sometimes high. Then I'll need to do the annoying mode-switch fast twitching action to get the light back into turbo mode. I don't like that the light has a mind of its own. Yes, the contacts are clean and the batteries fresh.

I also dropped the light from 3 feet onto cement, which cracked the lens. I cannot access the cracked lens because the crenelated bezel is welded on. Might as well be, because I could not remove it with vice grips. You will enjoy the light for a few weeks, but after that, the problems start occurring.

I never had the mode switching problem. Not a single problem has surfaced during my four month ownership of the light. I've dropped the light plenty of times as well, and it's just fine. I guess you got unlucky with yours.

I hear you. Im in the same boat. I do find myself coming back to the lumintop 15 series. Im actually leaning toward the td15 for the UI. I hear it has better throw, but id like to know f it has a decent amount of flood to make me happy. If anyone can chime in, let me know

TD-15 has a tight spot and very usable wide spill. Among the lights that I consider to be pocketable (Read: No uncomfortable bulging in your pants. That means no Ray X60.) tactical lights, it's a top-tier thrower that only one other light, ArmyTek Predator, can rival. Not even Maelstrom G5 comes close. If you want to compare the beamshots between other throwers of its category, check out selfbuilt's review of ArmyTek Predator here.

My only wish is that Lumintop would make an updated version of TD-15 with XP-G S2 or S3, addition of moonlight mode, make the front bezel removable for accessories, while preserving the original form and UI. I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Soda

Newly Enlightened
I checked out the armytek predator and i was really impressed with it. However i cant find where to buy it??

banger79

Newly Enlightened
I heard that the head had some wobble. is that true and how much? Also the ui sounds difficult so to anyone thats used it, is it easy enough to operate for every day use?
I recently bought a TD-15, the head definately has wobble when not tightened all the way in. Sturdily built and a fantastic thrower, though as you note the UI is not too easy. switching through lo-med-high is fine but switching between tac/regular modes with a double click is difficult and requires several attempts.
Gutted I didn't buy the Predator as the price differance is on £10 in the UK

duro

Enlightened
td15x is what I have. It's the xml version. They fixed the head wobble according to selfbuilt's review. I don't have wobble on my light. The xml version is the way to go. You have a ton of throw and flood. No tunnel vision with this light.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a TD-15, the head definately has wobble when not tightened all the way in. Sturdily built and a fantastic thrower, though as you note the UI is not too easy. switching through lo-med-high is fine but switching between tac/regular modes with a double click is difficult and requires several attempts.
Gutted I didn't buy the Predator as the price differance is on £10 in the UK

I assume the word "gutted" here was an auto-correct -- did you mean "glad" or "sorry" that you didn't buy the Predator? A cumbersome, multi-attempt UI is a blinking red light to me, and totally unacceptable

banger79

Newly Enlightened
Hi Joe, sorry its my England slang. ''gutted'' in this instance means ''very disappointed/with regret''. The UI on th TD15 is difficult for me, as you need to double twist the head in a second to change mode! Not ideal in a tactical situation...