For all you HP (Calculator) Fans...

Saaby

Flashaholic
HP is back in the calculator buisness! See Here

I have a HP 49G and like it a lot. (IE I like my Calculator, I love my Mac). I want to go into engineering and so I decited to go ahead and get the 49G instead of a Ti. I have to work a little harder to figure out how to do things (Than on the Ti 83 where the teacher shows you how to do it) but once I've figured out how to do it I can do it much more efficiently, and in RPN /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

At first I thought I would have to upgrade to the 49+ (And possibly sell my 49G) but I think for now I'll keep plugging away on my rubber keyboard and wait for the HP 50G. The fact that I'm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif and saving for a digital camera ought to help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So anyway, if you're like me and don't stay current on your calculator news here you go.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my calcalter is a cheapo one. i used to have one my grandfather gave me it had leds in it i swear they was the numbers.not lcd either leds.i lost it though

Screehopper

Enlightened
It was fun back in school when people asked to borrow my HP calculator. Love that reverse polish notation! It's so much faster than having to deal with parenthesis on other calcs.

I'm suprised HP came out with a new calculator. HP killed their calculator research/programming department a while back now.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
My main calculator in high school (class of 1978) was an HP 25C the c was for that fancy NEW continuous memory. My brother had a 45. Interesting thing--My dad worked for a place that had a large research branch and someone looked into the 45 and 55 the main difference was the 55 had a quartz crystal and timer function. Well they discovered that by pressing 2 or 3 buttons at once on the 45 you could enter into a timer mode but with out the accuracy of the 55.
I had a lot of friends frustrated with the RPN but i loved it also. Great for it's massive 49 step programs.

Spectre

Newly Enlightened
I still have my good old HP 48GX (with additional 256kByte RAM), and use it occasionally. Great calculators!

Bjorn

Kristofg

Enlightened
Same as Bjorn here, A trusty HP 48GX which has seen me trough many exams with the internal memory space and some text editing in TED /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I have a 12C and a 10B. They are great!

A bit more expensive but the workmanship and functioning are second to none.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hooray!!!

Thanks for the post, Saaby!

I see the news is over there at the big support site that you tagged. (www.hpcalc.org, which should really be supported by HP. Grrrrr.)

I've been mourning the shutdown of their Aussie operation and the public announcement of the virtual neglect of the calculator business.

Now if they can get a grip on quality control...

I also have a 49g, moving to it after my 48-expandable died. I couldn't have gotten through discrete math without it. I'll certainly have to look into the 50 series now that my 49 has died too./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif My 20-year-old 11c keeps plugging happily along, with hugely long battery life and nice, definite key clicks. I've never gotten used to those gooey keys on the 49. (Have you noticed those stupid gooey keys have made their way onto most cordless phones too? What an annoyance! Maybe it's really more the clicky mechanism behind it that's the worst part. It's a highly unreliable key click.)

[edit] Oh yeah LONG LIVE RPN!!!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I got my first HP-35 back when you had to order directly from HP($395)! Went through3-4 sets of batteries and finally wore the lettering off the keyboard. Currently have an 11C. I used them mostly to do radioactive decay and radioactive dose calclulations. Loved that e to the x key!

I found my old Slide Rule not long ago! I can't beieve I used to know how to use ALL the scales on that thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

makar

Enlightened
i have a hp 48gx with 128kb ram. i find the polish notation (number enter number operation) very good. after you get used to it it's a lot better to calculate with.

another good thing is that the hp 48gx needs aaas like my arc aaa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

highlandsun

Enlightened
My 48gx is flaked out, the ON key doesn't work any more. (There are other key combos to turn it on, but you can't interrupt a running program, and you can't turn it off the same way.) My 41CX is still running strong. (But I hate N cells...)

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have my 48sx. Its in my box of stuff labeled "I don't use much anymore but can't bear to part with and paid too much to anyway". I still pull it out every now and then and play with it some. I bought it in college with my first tax return from my first job. I worked part time and got back about $350 from my very first tax refund and the HP was something like $329 from service merchandise. I paid for it and went to the pickup counter and had to hold back a tear when the little box came rolling down the conveyor belt behind the counter. It was the most expensive thing I had ever bought or owned (cost more than the little chevy truck I was driving at the time even). I bought the serial cable from educalc and downloaded all the horn disks from the internet. This was before the www, you would write an ftp script, send it to an ftp mail server at some college and they would return it uuencoded back to your mailbox. I had to download all those files at 300 buad and unuuencode them on my 286 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BobVA

Enlightened
Did the usual "walked three miles barefoot in snow" job in college for my HP-25. Great, great box. Finally found another one for $5.00 at a ham fest. Replaced the Ni-Cads and it powered right up.

My favorite HP had to have been the HP-15C. Never could get my head around the RPL programming of the later models - I always had to write it down first. I could do fairly complex programs on the fly with the 15 (and 25). That came in VERY handy on tests!

The 15 is still working, but I'm afraid to EDC it for fear I'll break it or somebody will swipe it. Based on eBay pricing, it's doing a lot better than my 401k as an investment.

Thanks for the link!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
My first was a 45. Currently I have two 15Cs- one at work and one at home. (It took me 3 years to scrounge the 2nd one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .)

Larry

kubolaw

Enlightened
I still have my original 15C, the best calc I've ever had. I've always been tempted by the ones on Ebay, but I just can't justify another one, when this one is still going so strong (plus my 11C and 12C are good backups).

John

PS Thanks for posting the link Saaby!

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many are geeky enought to have bought the printer?

I've been watching ebay for years for a 200lx but they still sell for as much as they did new.