Tigerlight switch question

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I'd decided that I wasn't interested in rechargeable lights, but two things have changed my mind. First, I don't use my SF M-4 that often so why get a rechargeable? But I've come to think that I would use it much more often if it were rechargeable. Second, I had a "tactical-lite" drill last night -- something went bump in the night, and someone really was there ... grabbed my M-4, imagine my surprise when it looked to be putting out maybe 150 lumens -- my wife had been using the M-4 occasionally, I didn't realize it'd been so charged down.

So, anyway, I'm going to get all caught up in the current candlepowerforums Tigerlight lovefest. Question about the switch on the Tigerlight: is it Surefire-style momentary-on only, or is it permanent-on only, or can I choose between either? I've read every Tigerlight string, and I'm sure the answer to that question was buried in one of them, but I can't remember what the answer was. Thanks!

Joe

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Joe,
I believe the tail end Tigerlight switch is permanent on only, like the Maglites.
This is off topic and I apologize but did you ever go for the E1 with the KL1 LED add-on? I remember a long time ago on BF, you complained about the E1's narrow throw and purchased a "Beamshaper" for it.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Joe Talmadge:
.....Question about the switch on the Tigerlight: is it Surefire-style momentary-on only, or is it permanent-on only, or can I choose between either......
Joe
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Joe,

It's a "three-way" clickie: Off, momentary on, permanent on. Full choice, as is my Maglite.

Brightnorm

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Gene:
Hey Joe,
I believe the tail end Tigerlight switch is permanent on only, like the Maglites.
This is off topic and I apologize but did you ever go for the E1 with the KL1 LED add-on? I remember a long time ago on BF, you complained about the E1's narrow throw and purchased a "Beamshaper" for it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Gene,

Yeah, I'm not at all a fan of the stock E1. The beamshaper made the E1 at least useful, but it actually made the beam more disperse than I'd like. The Arc LS completely solved the problem: for a pint-sized carry light, it's bright, good runtime, and what a consider a near-perfect beam spread. The LS handily beats out the E1 even with the beamshaper.

I've been debating whether or not to get the KL1, to make my E1 useful again. But, the E1+KL1 is nearly twice the length of the Arc LS, and if I"m going to carry a light that big, I'd just as soon carry the E2. So, I still don't have a KL1, I'm pretty happy with the Arc LS as my carry-everywhere light, and the E2 as a nighttime supplement.

Thanks to you and brightnorm for the switch answers. Maglite-style switch, provided it's got a long action like the Maglite (so it's easy to choose between momentary-on and permanent-on) is cool!

Joe
Joe

agent8698

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by brightnorm:

Joe,
It's a "three-way" clickie: Off, momentary on, permanent on. Full choice, as is my Maglite.

Brightnorm
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">On the TigerLight website, the specifications say that the switch actuation force is "3 pounds, +/- 1 pound".

I would like to add that there are two different levels of actuation force that apply to the TigerLight. The first level is the one that is required to achieve momentary on. I just measured it on my 8" TigerLight, and it came out to be one pound ten ounces. That's after about 1/32 of an inch of travel or less. Then, if you continue to apply pressure (actuation force) to the switch, it will travel about another 3/32 of an inch, during which the required pressure (actuation force) will increase dramatically, and then, when about five pounds of pressure is reached, it will click to constant on. Total travel: 1/8 of an inch. I must say the switch design has inspired my confidence from day one: momentary on and constant on are reliably separated, there is no way to accidentally achieve constant on when all you want is momentary on, because of the different distances of switch travel as well as the different levels of actuation force needed. Max

...............1 pound 10 oz...........................5 pounds
off............momentary on.........................constant on
|______________|_________________________|

|.....1/32 inch......|...........3/32 inch..................

2dogs

Enlightened
Regarding the TL what does the charger look like? Is it an all position charger like the Mag or a vertical like SL. In other words is it a flexable mounting positiom number like Mag? I hate to buy another Mag product but we just bought a new 4X4 truck. As I've said before I like the SL-20 better than Mag but not the charger. BTW, yes I have a US and it has a good charger.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe,
I had considered an ARC LS because, like you, I love the size when it's in the single 123 cell configuration and the smaller the better. The price of admission, (well over $100.00), was too high for me and I was only interested in the single 123 configuration. I don't know why they don't offer it with just the single 123 barrel? A new E1 and the KL1 was under $75.00, ($44.00 for the KL1 and got the E1 on sale for $29.95), and at 3 3/8" long, the combination is still a full inch shorter than the E2. The KL1 works as advertised, in fact it works BETTER and it literally transforms the little E1.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I guess I glossed over the fact that the Arc LS costs so much more!

Okay, now off to find a good price on the 8" Tigerlight. Just noticed a great deal on the 11" Tigerlight in the dealer's section, but no mention of FBOP specials.

Joe