What country is Singapore in?

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a sovereign nation.

Here's what our CIA has in its public database.

sn-map.gif

I knew that part because I knew some folks from there, but here's something that messed me up:
The country's name is "Republic of Singapore", usually shortened to just "Singapore".
The capital city of the country is named "Singapore"
So if someone says they're "from Singapore" they of course might not be from Singapore the city. Sorta mildly problematic.

Spango

Newly Enlightened
Yes, Singapore is a country by itself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PaulW said:
They used to call it a "free city."

[/ QUOTE ]

Now they call it a "fine city", i.e. you have to pay fines for little things like littering, chewing gum, etc.. Hehe... just kidding and no offense all you S'poreans out there... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do I get nervous when I click on a CIA link? I'm a native son, good taxpayer, law abiding citizen (except for those speeding tickets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) and my taxes have paid for this information, but still......

Dan

Spango

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
[ QUOTE ]
PaulW said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Now they call it a "fine city", i.e. you have to pay fines for little things like littering, chewing gum, etc.. Hehe... just kidding and no offense all you S'poreans out there... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I understand, Singapore is well known to the world for:

1. Banning Chewing Gum
2. Fines for not flushing the Loo.
3. Hanging capital of the World.
4. Bl*w Jobs illegal
5. Can't undress in your own home.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lux0

Newly Enlightened
"1. Banning Chewing Gum "
-not a bad thing.

"2. Fines for not flushing the Loo."
-If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down.

" 4. Bl*w Jobs illegal "
-Just like many US states.

"5. Can't undress in your own home."
-makes washing difficult, doesn't it?

lhz

Newly Enlightened
Singapore is a really funny place to live in sometimes. It is the only place in the world where it requires much rigorous debate by cabinet ministers and members of parliament, before the following, announced with much fanfare in the front page of our newspapers, were recently legalised (they were previously illegal)

1. Bungee Jumping
2. Bartop Dancing

I wish I were joking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Another piece of legislation being currently considered is to actually allow Singaporeans to fly the Singapore flag. It is currently illegal for Singaporeans to fly the nation's flag at their homes or anywhere else except during the month of August(our national/independence day is in August). I leave it to you to consider what a $#@%^ bullshit regulation this is.

One big difference bet Singaporeans and Americans is that we are all issued an identity card complete with all our personal data including fingerprints. And we are supposed to have them on us at all times. They also double as library cards in our national libraries. I understand most of you guys will flip if the US govt tried to do the same to you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Spango

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
lhz said:
One big difference bet Singaporeans and Americans is that we are all issued an identity card complete with all our personal data including fingerprints. And we are supposed to have them on us at all times. They also double as library cards in our national libraries. I understand most of you guys will flip if the US govt tried to do the same to you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the it is not a must to have the identity card with you all the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Singapore, being obsessed with being first in everything, just scored another first yesterday - first confirmed case of SARS after the SARS outbreak earlier this year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

E__WOK

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Spango said:
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
[ QUOTE ]
PaulW said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I understand, Singapore is well known to the world for:

1. Banning Chewing Gum
2. Fines for not flushing the Loo.
3. Hanging capital of the World.
4. Bl*w Jobs illegal
5. Can't undress in your own home.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I went there with one of those big 18 pack stick of gum in my camera bag by accident. Luckily I didn't get caught.

2. The ones I used would not flush.

4. giving or receiving?

HunterSon

Enlightened
Spitting and smoking are also banned in alot of places in Singapore. My first trip there I got outside the airport doors, spit my gum out and lit a cigarette. A cab driver said I could have got in a lot of trouble if it was not 2 am and there was no one about. It goes to show, you should always read a good travel book about local laws and customs before you go and make an a$$ of yourself is someone else's back yard.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, with the chewing of gum, its alright to chew gum in S'pore (and correct me if I'm wrong guys) but it is NOT alright to buy and sell gum in S'pore... so go figure... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Which, by the way gives the Malaysian chewing gum industry a boost, cos S'poreans come across the causeway and stock up on gum!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Spango

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
Actually, with the chewing of gum, its alright to chew gum in S'pore (and correct me if I'm wrong guys) but it is NOT alright to buy and sell gum in S'pore... so go figure... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone wish to verify this point by chewing gum in front of a LEO? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Spango said:
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone wish to verify this point by chewing gum in front of a LEO? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... err... ok, maybe not then... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
I'll do it if someone pays for my travel expenses. (Don't worry 'bout the hotel- I'll either leave that night, or spend it in a state-run 'no-checkout' facility.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

Singapore sounds like an interesting place to visit, but I can't afford to go there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
my uncle who's a policeman gave me some gum during the chinese new year period at the start of the year. as a matter of fact i'm chewing some as i type this post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

singapore is in many ways like an arc LS. small, contained, reliable, and efficient if somewhat aesthetically unappealing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif it might have some of the most draconian rules, but it has made for one of the safest and cleanest countries around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Spango

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
my uncle who's a policeman gave me some gum during the chinese new year period at the start of the year. as a matter of fact i'm chewing some as i type this post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

singapore is in many ways like an arc LS. small, contained, reliable, and efficient if somewhat aesthetically unappealing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif it might have some of the most draconian rules, but it has made for one of the safest and cleanest countries around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence, but:

1) Safe - How do we know how much crime goes unreported (in the papers) each day? The media is controlled very tightly; You see what they want you to see.

2) Clean - That I believe is due to the hard work of the Bangladeshi workers everyday, and not because of the civic mindedness of the public. Should they go on strike one day, it may jolly well become one of the filthiest places....