Quark Mini AA2 issues

• Thread starter z_Redheddedstranger
  • Start date
Z

z_Redheddedstranger

Somewhat minor but still disappointed. I tried to visit the 4sevens link here on CPF and it logs me out and wont let me post. So I am posting this here. I own a few Quarks and have been very pleased with all of them..

The battery tolerance is lacking in my mini AA2. lots of jiggling around in there. Could it be the spring is not strong enough or is it the diameter of the AA batteries and the battery tube? I emailed 4sevens last week to ask what I can do to fix this but no reply as of yet.

bandaid

Newly Enlightened
Mine does the same thing.
I believe that it is an intentional design.
I've been reading upon it and a lot of people have brought it up.
I think it allows more space for the batteries to expand and contract upon temperature differences so you wouldn't have any jamming problems.

Both my Preon 2 and Mini AA2 has a slight side to side rattle.

AaronG

Enlightened
some cells are bigger than others so it's hard for a company to pick the right size. If it was too tight you'd have stuck cells or you wouldn't be able to fit them at all.

I'd suggest sliding a piece of paper around the cells.

What sort of cells are you using? nmh cells seem to be a little bigger than alkaline.

Zendude

Enlightened
Wow! Talk about a long time lurker........or did he cross over from a parallel universe where CPF exists in 1969.

;p

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
My Mini 123 Ti has a slight amount of battery movement when shaken but it's not very noticeable with a short CR123 cell....there is space around the battery though so it must be intentionally designed that way.

tolkaze

Enlightened
I know my mini AA and my Quark AA2 shipped with an american AA cell that was a pretty snug fit. Same brand in Australia, and it had a lot of leftover room. Could be a difference in the batch, or could be that the base cells were sourced from different factories. I guess that someone at 4sevens has bought a lot of cells, found the largest diameter, added 1% or so for extra tolerance (for heat as mentioned above). I have found some brands of rechargeables to be even skinnier inside the light.

Maybe try wrapping the cells, or trying a different brand of cell?