Wolf Eyes Pilot Whale

Z

z_plyfold

Hi there, I've been reading these threads for nearly a week as a guest but decided to join yesterday, this is my first post.

About me - I've had a mag charger for 15 or so years now and have generally been very pleased with it, especially when I ordered a replacement battery for it at a cost of £35 and they accidentally supplied me with another entire flashlight, charger and all!! About a year ago I got fed up of replacing the bulb at £7 a pop every time its dropped (i guess I'm clumsy) and purchased a Terralux 3 LED insert which has was a great buy. not sure it was much brighter but the battery lasted which was nice.

Since then I have bought a Nitecore D10 which I wanted as a key-ring light and have so far been pleased with, although the thing does seem to turn on accidentally at times and flatten the battery which is a pain.

I'm pretty excited at the moment; the title of my post has probably given this away... About 2 hours ago I took delivery of a Wolf Eyes Pilot Whale (some AW14500s and a WF-139 charger for my D10 to replace the 1.5v AA's). I actually managed to demonstrate patience to myself and ensure full charge before installing into the flashlight (app 1 hour). What can I say?? It's bright. Unfortunately that's all I can say as I'm stuck in the office at work and its daylight! It's brighter than the MAG which I kind of expected and should last longer too... that said:

The information available online indicates that its 1000 lumens regulated output for 100 minutes. The paperwork supplied states 1100 lumens for 70 minutes. I'm hoping it's the former as i would appreciate the greater runtime more than the extra 100 lumens.

First impressions: nice flashlight. I have to agree with the others and state that I also found it (slightly) smaller than I expected. It seems well put together and nicely finished. It does appear to have a couple of tiny imperfections on the reflector, but if the beam appears ok its something I can live with.

I just want it to get dark and be home time so I can run around and play with my new toy like the big kid I am.

Lastly, my criteria for buying:

1 a 18650 light - not manufacturer specific (considered the SR91)

2 a non-focus single LED, not a cluster (looked at the WE Storms)

3 a decent runtime and brightness (single cell flashlights not sufficient)

4 a throw/flood combination as main use will be walking dogs through the woods or collecting firewood with my 2 yr old son (currently loving the D10!). We've only been out 3 times and he's not totally understanding the "point it where you're walking idea" so with these 14500 he'll probably blind us both!

Please respond to this post, I had no idea where to place it or even how to go about starting a conversation. I guess some reassurance that I chose the right light would also be nice as its looking awfully expensive sitting next to my keyboard.