Touching bulbs

kb0rrg

Enlightened
What has been your experiance with touching bulbs with your fingers? I am primaraly refering to 3 - 6 volt bulbs such as those in mags / mini-mags. I try not to touch them, but in the "field" it is hard not to, because is is often in the dark, or it is raining or I am in a hurry. Am I worried about nothing, or is this a serious consideration?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Glass envolope technology has advanced greatly, but it is still good practice to avoid any contact with the bulbs. Expecially those which run hot, and are at high pressure.

Unless reloading/replacing lamps in the dark is a "tactical" requirement (which is something you would train to do), I like many would use a PhotonII LED light (etc) to provide illumination in such situations.

I believe everyone should carry a PhotonII (or PhotonIII when available) as standard.

Al

axolotls

Enlightened
I try to never touch any bulb. I learned this while doing rigging and (audio/visual stuff) for concerts. The oils from your finger on a hot bulb will and could (and it has) explode in your hand (if on or later if off and turned on. Let me tell ya son, broken glass on your body hurts quite a lot.

For flashlight bulbs, I never touch the bulb, or if I do I turn it off and wipe the oils off with a clean rag. $0.02