Fenix E01 - Fenix E05 R4 - Preon Revo SS R2 comparison and Beam Shot (A lot of pics)

njet212

Enlightened
I just got E05 recently from pass around here. Just want share how do i think about these popular lights. This review is not about which light is brighter. It's all about beam pattern.

Size

DSC01978.jpg

Fenix E05 has shortest length compared with E01 with Prevo SS, but it most fat between E01 and Prevo SS. E01 is medium size compared with Prevo SS and Fenix E05 and it is as slim as Prevo SS. The Provo SS has the longest size between 3 lights.

DSC01985.jpg
DSC01982.jpg
DSC01984.jpg

As for E05 size from my preference, it suit best for key chain light. Not too short not too long. The only thing i doubt about E05 is plastic lens. If you carry your key chain in your pocket, on extended usage the lens will be scratched. Still don't how tough is Fenix plastic lens yet since this is first Fenix flashlight that using plastic lens if I correctly remember.

Beamshot

Wall Shot @ +/- 50 cm

DSC02007.jpg
DSC02008.jpg
DSC02016.jpg

• Prevo SS has very bright hotspot and fairly bright side spill, i could say this light was design for beam that produce balance between throw and flood.
  • Fenix E05 has no hot spot, it has very bright side spill which perfect light for close range illumination.
  • Fenix E01, which is very become a very popular light before ITP A3, Maratac, Prevo born but beam at reality does not look like in the picture. It has purple hot spot with dim yellow side spill, which is i don't really like it IMO.

Beam Shot @ 1 meter

DSC02013.jpg

DSC02018.jpg
DSC02014.jpg
DSC02015.jpg

This 1 meter shot is distance when the lights will be use for illuminate dark path. From all 3 light, i really like Fenix E05 beam pattern for 1 meter illumination task.

• Prevo SS still got hot spot and side spill on 1 meter distance.
  • Fenix E05 beam is flood, which is perfect beam pattern for 1 meter distance IMO
  • Fenix E01 beam nearly about the same with Prevo SS, except it has purplish tint.

Beam Shot @ +/- 4 meters

DSC02009.jpg
DSC02017.jpg

DSC02010.jpg
DSC02011.jpg

At further distance, Prevo SS shown it's capability as a throw light between 3 lights.

• I could see Prevo SS still has very bright focusing beam with fairly bright side spill.
  • On Fenix E05 it same beam pattern, flood light with bright spill.
  • On Fenix E01 i still could see fairly bright purplish hot spot with fairly dim side spill.

Bottom Line

For the close range illumination Fenix E05 outperform Prevo SS and Fenix E01 IMHO. Fenix E05 has perfect brightness with flood beam pattern and bright side spill while Fenix E01 is too dim for me. I also feel Prevo SS is too focus for close range task IMHO.

I also think Fenix E01 and E05 still could be best selling light for fenix as their price is very affordable. USD.24 before CPF discount for Fenix E05 and USD.15 before CPF discount for Fenix E01. While Prevo SS is a bit sold at higher price around +/- USD 56 before CPF discount.

But i would like to see Fenix or 4sevens making lights with similar beam pattern like Fenix E05 but added extra feature such as glass lens and multi mode option. That would be perfect key chain light for me.

igoman

Newly Enlightened
So, how is the Fenix E05 holding up so far for dose of you who use it? How do you like the beam using the flashlight on a daily basis?

j2k

Newly Enlightened
Mine (r2 version) is holding up very well. The anodizing is coming off in spots from all the junk on my keychain, but otherwise no problems. I don't see how the lens could get scratched from other keychain items, but if you tend to carry some other objects in the pocket with your keys then I guess it is possible.

The beam is perfect for close work, but it also is surprisingly useful at night outside. I'd say it's perfectly fine for lighting up your path up to 5 meters, maybe further depending on how much light you need.

What I'd like on it is an ultra low mode. Anyone knows if it could be modded for a qtc?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy njet212,
Thanks for the excellent comparison between those 3 fine lights. Yes, the E05 really does have an ideal closeup beam..... and after all, that's probably 90% of what a small light like that gets used for, so it's almost ideal.

But like you pointed out, it only has one level. So why not do what many CPFers have done in similar circumstances and use some of this stuff to make the Revo beam into something more like the E05 beam?
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...haserburn-s-Diffusion-Film-DC-Fix-CPF-Service

It should give you the best of both worlds with your Revo.... a nice even, floody beam AND 3 light levels. To top it off it's easily reversible if you change your mind later on :).

Last edited:

redheddedstranger

Newly Enlightened
we have a few E01's and with a lithium battery they are very useful for what they are. the build is great. we use ours on our key chains and they have been rained on and thrown around. very well built lights. i do not think the preon would be as sturdy as the E01's but i could be wrong.

njet212

Enlightened
So, how is the Fenix E05 holding up so far for dose of you who use it? How do you like the beam using the flashlight on a daily basis?

As i mentioned in the beginning of post #01, i got Fenix E05 from pass around in here, have been returned to it's owner. Sorry can't help you answer the question..

Howdy njet212,
Thanks for the excellent comparison between those 3 fine lights. Yes, the E05 really does have an ideal closeup beam..... and after all, that's probably 90% of what a small light like that gets used for, so it's almost ideal.

But like you pointed out, it only has one level. So why not do what many CPFers have done in similar circumstances and use some of this stuff to make the Revo beam into something more like the E05 beam?
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...haserburn-s-Diffusion-Film-DC-Fix-CPF-Service

It should give you the best of both worlds with your Revo.... a nice even, floody beam AND 3 light levels. To top it off it's easily reversible if you change your mind later on :).

Hi Derek,

That's Phaseburn Diffusion looks great and good solution. As for the Prevo in XRE-R2, yeah you might need that such diffuser to make it more flood if you prefer flood over throw for your EDC task. After i loose my Prevo R2 head :sick:. I really love my Prevo so i ordered S2 version for replacement and i love it. Beam is much more flood than the R2 version and it suit my taste for EDC light.

we have a few E01's and with a lithium battery they are very useful for what they are. the build is great. we use ours on our key chains and they have been rained on and thrown around. very well built lights. i do not think the preon would be as sturdy as the E01's but i could be wrong.

I don't know for prevo aluminium version, but for Stainless version i could say the outer body (i.e shell ) prevo SS is much stronger than Fenix E01 though. Thing i love on E01 are it have unbeatable price, only 1 mode means simple electricity ( more mode = more complex electricity = more chance to fail in my experience ).

I have both light and it is still going strong at the moment :twothumbs, so i can't say prevo is much more reliable than E01 or E01 is much more reliable than the Prevo.

McJagger

Newly Enlightened
Thanx for the beamshots, althaugh it is not a fair comparison as the Prevo is in a much higher price range... it would have been great if you head an LD01 also to compare :)

njet212

Enlightened
@mcjager:

Actually it is not direct comparison in term of quality, brightness etc.

It's just give an idea for people who looking for the beam shot and beam pattern for this popuplar light :)

Don't have fenix ld01 at the moment, but i just got itp a3 xpg r5 and ulttafire sa-r2 and preon revo s2. Will added the beam shot if i got free time

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
Nice beam shots, and very helpful for anyone looking at these lights.

I got the E05 R2 a while ago, and I really like it. I like that it is short, and I love the floody beam, which I think is perfect for key chain use. So far mine has held up great with no scratching of the lens that I can see. I wouldn't worry about the lens getting scratched, if it did, it will just help add to the diffusion. :)

I chose it over the Preon Revo SS, because it is shorter and lighter, but mostly because of price. I just can't justify paying $57 for a AAA key chain light that will just be a back up to my EDC light.

Borad

Enlightened
I just got my E05. There's one design flaw. The key ring that comes with it doesn't lay flat enough to allow for a good tail stand. Initially, the ring just barely flattened out enough for a tail stand but then I attached the zipper of a pouch to the key ring and it won't stand now. If the key ring swung up more, like it does on the Solitaire, it would be fine. Fenix needs to enlarge the two holes or the slot or space them apart more. I'll probably file the slot.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
I just got my E05. There's one design flaw. The key ring that comes with it doesn't lay flat enough to allow for a good tail stand. Initially, the ring just barely flattened out enough for a tail stand but then I attached the zipper of a pouch to the key ring and it won't stand now. If the key ring swung up more, like it does on the Solitaire, it would be fine. Fenix needs to enlarge the two holes or the slot or space them apart more. I'll probably file the slot.

it works fine with a smaller, skinny key ring. about 1cm diameter should do it. i pulled one off of a dead fauxton and it works great.

Last edited:

Borad

Enlightened
it works fine with a smaller, skinny key ring. about 1cm diameter should do it. i pulled one off of a dead fauxton and it works great.

Yeah, I tried it with a key ring about 19/20 cm and it's good. The one that comes with the E05 is about 1 2/10 cm. :thumbsup:

Borad

Enlightened
Actually, my smaller keyring swings up enough for a tail stand only when the single layer, 1/32" section of the ring is in the hole of the flashlight. If the overlapping section of the keyring is in the hole, it won't move enough. I modified the keyring from a larger one, so maybe a keyring that's factory-made to be 1 cm in diameter would be thin enough. Anyway, Fenix has to fix the holes and/or ship the flashlights with smaller key rings.