Moonlight Pro

Reaper

Enlightened
Thinking about purchasing the Moonlight Pro (I believe this is the AA powered model). Any one with thoughts about the model? I'm looking for only a AA battery type headlamp. Thanks.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Moonlight Pro. It is 3AA, but doesn't dim like the newer version of the regular Moonlight. It is a good light, and the most compact 3AA headlamp I've ever seen. If you want the dimming feature also, you could buy both, and swap heads. The regular Moonlight is on sale at rei.com for $20.

If you can get by with 4 5mm LEDs, and don't need more throw, I believe it's your best bet. Some other options are Black Diamond Gemini (incandescent with 2 LEDs), and Princeton Tec Yukon (narrow incandescent with 3 rather bluish LEDs). The Yukon is my current headlamp favorite. My Moonlight Pro currently resides in my glove compartment, where it makes a superb and compact emergency car repair headlamp. If you use AAs, and find that you like another headlamp more, you can always do that with it, and it is excellent for that purpose. So the way I look at it, you can't lose by buying one.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I don't have the Moonlight Pro but the diming 2003 AAA Moonlight. Same light other than the size batteries it takes. I LOVE it and don't regret one bit getting the AAA version instead of waiting for the AA version. Sure you pay about the same $$ for less energy capacity in AAAs, but with battery life as good as it is in the Moonlight (AAA) who cares!

What I am saying is, if you find the AAs too big or anything like that, don't hesitate to go with the AAA version instead.

B@rt

Flashaholic
I have a Moonlight Pro on order of wich I am assured it has dimming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
It is supposed to be the newest model. I'll let you know when it gets here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Reaper

Enlightened
Thanks all. I had an old Pelican 4xAA incan. headlamp that I used to use at work (cleaning lead out of bullet traps at a range which was a pita) but it ate batteries like there was no tomorrow. Kinda glad it gave up the ghost. I want to standardize on battery stock hence the need for AA type. I'll be looking forward toward the review B@art and I'll check out the Yukon HL also Mr. Bradshaw.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Despite the promise, the ordered Pro turned out to be the non dimming model. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I ordered a regular one at REI... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ramptapult

Newly Enlightened
Mine has a problem with the switch. I can only get it to dim and strobe occasionally. Im gonna take it back and replace it.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
B@rt said:
Despite the promise, the ordered Pro turned out to be the non dimming model. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I ordered a regular one at REI... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'll like the results when you combine the two. The dimming feature is very well designed. It's like having two switches in one. Full press for on/off, half press to switch modes.

I just got back from a weekend camping trip, and found myself using the Moonlight more at the campsite than the Yukon. Very light and dimmable. The Yukon was better suited for walks, though, since it just plain throws further (even when using the LEDs).