I don't know squat! Help a newbie?

DiamondCut2_0

Newly Enlightened
I don\'t know squat! Help a newbie?

Hi, all

I've been browsing these forums for quite some time now and am interested in making some mods. What do I need to know to get me started? Keep in mind I don't know anything about circuitry and the whole "flashlight lingo." I am mostly interested in LED mods. What tools will I need? What is a good beginner level mod? Is there anything I can do with my turqoise Photon P3? I remember seeing a mod on The LED Museum where someone converted theirs to purple. Thank you for your time!

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Re: I don\'t know squat! Help a newbie?

I like so many others started with a sandwich from http://www.anlighten.com/shop It's easy and you really can't go wrong. A search yields tons of info.

As for the next level, a soldering iron and multi-meter are a must. You can mod quite a bit with just that. Many other parts are available from the sandwich shop linked above. CPFers will also be willing to make any custom parts you may need for a small fee.

Welcome to credit card hell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Welcome to CPF Philip!

HIDE YOUR WALLET!!!!

Ok. The first "mod" I did was simple. I started with a generic 2AA flashlight (A Dorcy branded Sears Craftsman). I made up a tube of paper and a bolt and nut to take up the extra space, and placed three 'N' cells in the light.

At the other end I hogged out the reflector to accept a 5mm LED. I used a Linrose Superbrite LED 10 Candela Green that I got at Frys. I shortened the pins, and cleaned up the pins where they are flattened up near the LED itself. Found the correct orientation and installed it where the bi-pin bulb was.

I ended up with a mildly bright, somewhat focusable LED flashlight.

It ain't much, but it's mine.

I still don't do (perhaps can't do) my own Luxeon mods. But I have a couple of wickedly bright M*g lights!

OH! And while it isn't (at least to me) an actual mod... ...the Badboys and Madmaxs from the Sandwich Shoppe are good stuff!!!! You won't believe what a Madmax can do to a minim*g!!!

Good luck to you!

hideo

Enlightened

check this thread for a link to some great how-tos and projects that won't break the bank ... if you navigate around the Brit science link, he has a number of nifty things.

Good howto solder quickie article.

here's a fairly cheap and easy Luxeon changeout on a nice light with a crappy luxeon--you can frequently find these lights on eBay ... there is one consumer site that sells them in the US, but I have heard alot of complaints re: their service

"Q" LS upgrade for the Aitec Collimator

if you comb thru the modified and homemade forum, you will find hours and hours of entertainment---many genius mods from these talented CPFers and a number of simple ones that you and I can do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

enjoy,

hideo

Latest posts