Did I do something stupid with my LS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
I have an ARC LSL-S. It's a couple of weeks old, and I like it a lot. Just today, I received a twistee tailcap that I ordered from somebody on CPF. I tried the new tailcop, and the flashlight didn't work. I tightened it a bit more, and it still didn't light.

Now the really bad news: when I replaced the clickee tailcap, the light still won't work! I thought (hoped?) that maybe it was just a bizarre coindicence and the battery gave way at just that moment, so I tried a new battery. Still no luck.

I don't know what to do from here. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-barry

BF Hammer

Enlightened
At the very worst, you damaged the circuit board in the LS head when tightening the twisty pak. I wonder, however, just how clean are the threads on the head and power packs. If grease is used on the threads and gets old and "gunky", it can insulate the battery pack, meaning there is no current path for the negative side of the battery.

Did you get or install any kind of foam washer that is stuck inside the LS head? It may be stuck in not right and creating a air-gap on the positive end of the battery. The twisty will work without a washer installed.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks BF Hammer. I tried your suggestions. I wiped the threads clean. There appears to be no washer in the head. I also tried using the AA tailpack that I have. All with no luck.

Guess I have to call ARC tomorrow.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

-barry

Mim

Newly Enlightened
I just got a twistie and the same thing happened. I searched forums and here's the deal:

The twisties' tolerances were a little off and don't close as far as needed for contact. Not to worry.

Put some foil at the bottom of the twistie. I folded the foil over twice (making it 4 foil thick). I then pressed the twistie on it to make an impression and cut it out with scissors. Works like a charm!

I even wrapped the battery with a littel black tape to stop the rattle. Good luck!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB31&Number=285788&Forum=UBB31&Words=twistie%20work&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=285522&Search=true
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mim,

After trying the twisty with no success, his LS doesn't work at all, not even with the clicky tailcaps.

It is definitely a different problem than yours. I think BF Hammer is right about the circuit board having been damaged by over-tightening the twisty trying to make it work. Sort of the opposite problem of yours, Barry would have been much better off if his twisty had been too big like yours.

Pat

Mim

Newly Enlightened
Bummer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for the thoughts. I'll give ARC a call tomorrow and see if I have any options or if I'm just SOL.

-barry

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
if i'm not wrong the battery should get dented when the twistie is over tightened, and the board shouldn't get damaged...its way too tough for that.

Kentucky Rifle

Newly Enlightened
I feel lucky. I bought a LSH-P and did the same thing. I purchased a couple of "twisty" caps. Space is at a premium for me. I carry my LSH-P in a small leather pouch in the watch pocket of my jeans when I fly. I installed the twist cap and my light was suddenly shorter. Short enough to also carry one of James Knight's excellent spare battery carriers where the clicky switch would have been in my pouch. The only "problem" was a soft-sounding, side to side movement of the battery. The sound didn't bother me a bit. However, I figured that the battery shouldn't move around like that so I wrapped the battery a couple of times 'round with some one inch, paper medical tape. Now~no more "slight clicking" and the switch works perfectly. I haven't even tried the second switch.
Barry: One of the Arcs I ordered just never worked. I cleaned, I inspected, I did everything I could think of. Nothing worked. I sent it back, Peter sent me a new one the same week. I have NO IDEA what happened or why it wouldn't work. I just chalked it up to "nothing is perfect". Except maybe *Arc service. It's a drag to have to send something back but, sometimes you just have to.

Will

outlaw918692000

Newly Enlightened
The problem with some twist packs is the neg. termanal is too short, if you trim off the lip of plastic that raps over the bottom of the battery, this problem is solved. No more over tightening (trim only the lip that goes over the neg. side of the battery or you will ground the battery to the inside of the light,thus constant on.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everybody for suggestions. I called ARC today, and I'm shipping it back to them for repair.

I'm certain that it's broken. When I was experimenting with it - i.e. turning it on and off to no effect. I apparently left it in to on position. Even though no light was coming out of the LED, the light got warm after a few minutes.

So, off to ARC it goes. BTW, they were VERY nice on the phone.

-barry

Status
Not open for further replies.