Quick comp TK15 to Maelstrom

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Quick comp Maelstrom to TK15

I got a chance to test the new Fenix TK 15 against my favorite all around flashlight the Maelstrom G5. For background I'm often far from home and far from "civilization". I don't have the luxury to carry lots of flashlights with me or run into the house and grab the most appropriate light for the job. I've been on a quest to find the best all around, 1 light for everything light (gasp!!!).

First off, what I like about the Maelstrom and why it's my reigning favorite. It's the only XPG led light that I've owned that can really throw. Not only that but I think the reflector is a thing of genius. Not only does it throw well but its almost "headlightish" in that the hotspot gets progressively hotter farther out thus helping you see better outside. Many lights I"ve owned have the hotspot too close which can bounce back off light colored rocks, signs etc and wreck your night vision.

The Maelstrom also just seems ridiculously efficient. I can't believe how long I can use it without changing the batteries. On moonlight mode you can use it to read in bed at night and if you read a full hour a night you've got light for nearly 9 months. That gives peace of mind when you are in a survival type sitution.

Durability

After 2 days I can't comment on the Fenix TK15. My Maelstrom has been fine after dropping it on rocks from 5-6 feet, using it under 1-2' of water. When I first got it I thought I had an issue with the tailcap but it turned out I was loosening the clip while loosening the tailcap and when I went to tighten it I wasn't tightening it down all the way though it felt tight.

Build quality

This is very subjective, but the TK15 looks kind of chincy compared to the Maelstrom. The walls are not near as thick. I think the Maelstrom would handle getting run over by a hummer better!

Beam

The TK15 throws pretty good though certainly not as far as the Maelstrom. It does seem to beat my eagletac TCO2 by a bit. The Maelstrom has a slight donut hole that certainly doesn't bother me. The TK15 seems smoother. In real world, out door use though it doesn't compare to the Maelstrom. In trying to think how to describe what I think is so cool about the Maelstrom I would say it would be a great light to mount to a mountain bike as it has plenty of light to see right in front of you but not so much as to bounce back and blind you but then the beam just keeps going, getting progressively brighter but as it's farther away it appears to be consistantly bright. A neutral one of these would be the bomb!

User interface

I really like both of them. Both have their strengths and weakness. I've heard the side switch knocked on the TK15. I don't care how ugly it is; it's really practical!! They both have 4 easy access brightness level. You change the Maelstrom by turning the head 90 degrees. In one complete revolution- 360 degrees you go from turbo, thru high, low and moonlight.

The TK15 is faster and easier to change modes. A quick press of the side button moves you to the next level. You can cycle thru the levels really fast. The light comes on in whatever level you left it in last. Turn it off in low, it comes on in low. Turn it off in high and it comes on in high. Hold it down and it jumps into the special, blinky modes. Much easier than the Maelstrom. To change "mode banks" on the Maelstrom you have to quickly twist back and forth between the 1st 2 modes 4 times.

The advantage of the TK15 is that its much faster and easier to change light levels and get in and out of special modes. The advantage of the Maelstrom is you can know what level you are turning the light on in before you turn it on. That's extremely important to me sometimes. Sometimes in the pitch black I want to know my light is coming on full force, and sometimes I want just moonlight. Once you are used to the light, you can figure out what level it will come on in WHILE IT IS STILL OFF!

Of course if you just turned off the TK15 you will know what mode it will come on in. The issue is, 1.) you may not remember at what level you turned it off in (imagine forgetting after just 2 days J) and 2.) even if you know what level it is coming on in, you can not control or change it.

At the end of the day they both have excellent user interfaces and I really do like the choice of light levels. My nod goes to the Maelstrom though for its lower low (moonlight mode) and knowing at what level the light will come on in.

Size

I'm sure someone will post pics here but I'll just say the TK15 seems significantly smaller than the Maelstrom. To me the difference is enough to tip the scales into making the TK15 a light I wouldn't mind carrying in my front pocket where I wouldn't try that with the Maelstrom.

I may be strange and weird on this but I would also say that the Maelstrom is the smallest light that gives me that sense of security holding in my hand. I don't know if that makes sense. Hypothetically if a singe AA light put out as much light THROW as a thrunite Catapult there are certainly times I would rather have the Catapult, even though it's bigger – actually precisely because its bigger. Walking into the dark alleyways, abandoned buildings etc.

I've got large hands and the Maelstrom is a tad wider than my hand but the TK15 is not.

I guess what I'm saying is that there is not a huge difference in size but there is a difference. And its enough (for me) to tip the scales of making the TK15 a light I could carry in my front pocket and it's also enough that the Maelstrom gives me some nebulous feeling of security and comfort carrying it in my hand where the TK15 doesn't. Most of you if jumped in back alley could use the Catapult as a weapon but wouldn't be able to do much with a preon… the Maelstrom is that tipping point in size for me! J

I don't have an IS but on high they are both bright! The TK15 is cheaper, but with 4 7's sale going on now, not by much. Even at full price though I personally think the Maelstrom is a better deal.