"Instant start" CFLs

Z

z_Lewey

Hi everyone,

Just hoping to clear up a blurry understanding of the workings of some CFLs, wondering if anyone can help. When I first started buying CFLs about 15 years ago they were bulky, long things, and were mostly programmed-start electronic ballast types (there was the occasional magnetic switch-start). Now they seem to be predominantly a sort of instant-start, allowing no electrode heating time at all (presumably to keep people happy?). The old programmed-start lamps lasted about a decade under daily use and frequent switching, while new lamps tend not to come close to this. I assume this is a combination of cheaper electronics, and the harsh starting mode of these new lamps. So my question is this:

Why do they still make these lamps with filaments, if they are never heated? Since they are essentially cold cathode, why can't they have 'cup like' electrodes like my laptop display backlight, and thus be much more resilient to switching? Is there more difference between a true cold cathode lamp and an instant-on CFL than I'm aware of? I don't have any first hand experience with true instant start fluorescent fixtures, since as far as I'm aware, they don't exist in the UK. Switch-start (pre-heat) has prevailed until recently, and now dimmable, programmed start electronic ballasts are becoming popular in fixtures.

Hope this makes some sense!

Thanks