Am I just crazy or...

Saaby

Flashaholic
I have this strange love for vintage technology, so I couldn't pass up this awesome typewriter at my local thrift store. $10 and it looks and works like it's brand new.

type1.jpg

The Typewriter in all it's glory.
type2.jpg

Cool LED #1
type3.jpg

Cool LED #2
type4.jpg

A daisy wheel for those that grew up in the 90s.

The Daisy Wheel is OCR-A so I'll need something with prettier, not to mention lowercase, letters--but the company is still around and I can actually order right from their website.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
So that's what's happened to all the old typewriters. I wonder what's happened to all the old typists.

Paul

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thats a odd looking machine .where is the monitor? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
My Dad had one similar to that. Does that one have the capability to hook up to an old PC? We used to hook my Dad's up to his old Apple and print right to the typewriter. It was pretty cool. The quality of the text was outstanding.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I used to use an IBM Selectric typewriter back in the mid-1970s. No spell check, no error correction (that's what Liquid Paper was for), no nothing. But it had this ball with all the type on it, and produced really nice looking pages if you didn't screw up.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice -- the typewriter near its non-software-integrated zenith.

If you ever get a form to fill out & send back for something such as an application for something then you'll run into the dilemma of whether it's quicker to just do it on that old thing or
- scan the form into your computer
- edit the page in a pic editing program (and your apps never freeze on you, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif)
- print the result to your printer, hoping for WYSIWYG.

Sometimes for a few lines it's just easier to roll the darned form into a good old fashioned typewriter and get it over with, without even needing to un-sleep the computer.

On another note, I find it amusing that an electric rather than manual typewriter is "vintage". I wonder at my view of how the time has sped by so quickly.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats a typewriter?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Hey, a computer with an integrated printer! Where did the monitor go to?

I actually took 2 semesters of typing class in high school. My 2nd semester teacher had an odd practice of giving an assignment at the beginning of class, then leaving for the next 40 minutes to go smoke in the teacher's lounge. I spent that time typically disecting the vintage 1972 IBM Selectric in front of me and hoping it would work when I reassembled it. My grades weren't too good that year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Currently I use Scansoft Paperport to do the function of a typewriter. It has a utility called FormTyper that automatically finds all horizontal lines in a scanned document, and places an editable text field just above each line.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, unless it was a manual typewriter that could be used in a power failure by the romantic flickering light of a smoldering flashlight, on a dark and stormy night!

GregR