EverLED "one size fits all" question?

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
EverLED \"one size fits all\" question?

The EverLED is advertised as "one size fits all". They claim it can be just dropped into 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 cell flashlights. Is the EverLED regulated to be the same brightness in any of these flashlights? Or can I expect it to be brighter in a 6 cell than it would be in a 2 cell? I know some of you are thinking that is a stupid question. However, since incandescent bulbs are so different than LEDs I really don't know. I would like to know if it is the same brightness in any flashlight before I buy one.

I put this question here because it is a modification, even though it maybe a very simple (no brainier) one.

James

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: EverLED

There is a lot of info on the EverLED around here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It works great on all those cell numbers. It is slightly brighter on 3 cells and above as this is in drop down mode as opposed to the boost mode it must use in the 1 and 2 cell modes. But it is not noticeably brighter on 6 than it is on 3.

As far as beam quality, it's going to be very similar to a regular bulb in whatever flashlight. Or at least it is in mine.

The most important thing is to check the polarity of the light. The original run of EverLED's will not survive very long powered backwards, measured in seconds. The new ones, which I'm not sure are actually in the market yet, others will correct me here, will be OK powered backwards, but I don't think they will light that way. You'll be surprised to see how many flashlights are actually built backwards. You'll need some way of checking that, a 10 or $15 multi-meter from RadioShack can tell you for sure and is an invaluable tool if you don't already have one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Apart from that caveat I like my white EverLED just fine. It is a fine replacement bulb and makes good use of the reflector of the donor light.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

The two I own are down 10% in output at 3.0 Volts, and in regulation by 5 (3% low at 4, there for most uses). They're 30% down at 2.0 (still plenty, but falling off).

Flat above 5.0 (meaning four or more cells when fresh).

Doug Owen

Wylie

Enlightened

That's funny Doug I noticed a little loss myself. I can't knock the product though after my four AA nimhs die in my camera I can still get an hour or two of good light from my Responder.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Wylie said:
That's funny Doug I noticed a little loss myself. I can't knock the product though after my four AA nimhs die in my camera I can still get an hour or two of good light from my Responder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, fully. Neat product. I have two and recommend them to all who will listen.

Doug Owen

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
Re: EverLED \"one size fits all\" question?

Thanks guys. If I decide to try one I will now plan on using it in at least a 3 cell.

James