iTP A6 Polestar REPAIR/UPGRADE/FIX

Chicago X

Enlightened
While the iTP A6 Polestar is a great performer for the money, there have been several reports of switch/UI problems. The most common complaint seems to be the unwanted switching from any mode to low caused by a small impact or bump.

My example developed this issue after a couple months of ownership. It had been getting worse lately, to the point of being removed from active use rotation.

Upon further investigation, this failure comes from the battery carrier momentarily losing touch with the contact in the head. The gold-plated tab serving as contact is held down by a plastic-welded spot. Once this spot is removed or melted, the tab springs up slightly, providing a more positive contact with the battery holder.

Below is a step-by-step instructional how-to for those similarly affected.

The patient:

ThePatient.jpg

The tab in question:

Attached.jpg

Top of battery holder:

A6BatteryHolder1.jpg

Tools used. The straight tool needs to be heated.

Toolios2.jpg

Heating the tool:

Hearth.jpg

After touching the heated tool to the plastic nipple holding the tab, it popped up slightly:

Detached.jpg

Height can now be adjusted with one of the other tools. After this fix, the torch works GREAT ! I have dropped it from about three feet (1 meter) and no switching occurred.

I hope this encourages those owners who are considering selling or returning their A6s to repair and enjoy them instead.

-Chicago X

edodio

Newly Enlightened
Awesome fix. Worked like a charm for my A6, which decided to start randomly turning off when my house lost power. In my case, I simply used a pair of long scissors to mangle the small black plastic tab holding down the contact inside the flashlight body and then pulled up the contact using an old set of PC tweezers that I bent open and then bent slightly at one end for a hook, resulting in something similar to the nice tools you're showing.

Thanks again for the fix.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Hmm, I may have to try this. Mine likes to turn off when the head is tilted down.

{edit}-- It worked! I straightened out a jumbo paper clip and heated the end over the gas burner on the stove. Then used needlenose pliers to make a little L on the end of the wire and bent the contact up. My Polestar is no longer a turnoff!
:hitit:
Thanks a bunch for posting this solution! :)

Last edited: