Best User Interface for you?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose there are as many different UI versions as there are light makers. And perhaps just as many different preferences among users.

To me, the important things are

Quick access to illumination at the needed brightness.

Ability to switch brightness levels quickly.

Ability to switch brightness levels in BOTH DiRECTIONS, higher AND lower, from whatever level you might be at.

Intuitive operation.

Reliability.

Disco modes hidden, or left out.

No pre-flash.

Useful steps of brightness levels.

Can turn the light on to the pre-selected brightness level, BEFORE turning on the light, so you don't have to step through all the levels to get where you want it to be.

I haven't checked into the UI for every different light out there, but I found things lacking in most every light UI that I have seen.

The closest things that I have seen to perfect, are lights which have limited selections, such as Bright/Normal, so they dont have to do anything except twist the head in either direction to get the light you want from the outset. But they are necessarily limited, to give this simplicity. Lights that let you program these 2 levels take it one step further, but often only 2 selections are present, and that leads to complaints about no moonlight setting or lack of enough settings, unless you re-program the light.

As the number of settings available increases, the complexity of the UI increases.

I dislike having to step thru higher settings, in order to get to a lower setting. That is NOT optimal by any stretch of the imagination. It goes without saying that stepping thru Disco modes is even worse. Pre-flash is unacceptable. Infinitely adjustable rings are pretty good, but I think that proper steps are quicker, and I dont like waiting for ramping. I really dont need infinite, I just need a few steps aat the right spots that I can get to quickly.

I like the idea of the combination of the Clicky and the Twisty together, where the Clicky turns the light on and off and momentary, and the Twisty sets the light intensity setting. I think that is very intuitive, easy to use, and gives the most features that I find important in a UI, with the least complexity.

I just ordered a Maelstrom with the type of interface that is closest to what I desire, and it should arrive today.

I will see if it meets my expectations. It seems like it has a good chance, because the UI is what I want, but I need to see if their execution of it in this light is good. If the execution of it is good, this will probably be my most favorite light to use.

I wont even use the Disco mode bank. I will just use the one non-tactical mode bank for brightness settings, so that I can pick my desired brightness with the rotating head from its 4 steps at any time from on or off, move up or down in brightness quickly, and still have my clicky for on/off/momentary.

Ya know, it's not easy to find a light that is the quality, form factor, battery type, appearance, price, and UI, that you really want. It takes some real searching.

I'd like to see what other people think about this, and what they decided was the best available UI for their purposes, and why they like that, and what light they feel meets their UI needs the best.

Latest posts