TERRALUX clicky switch problem

jason 77

Enlightened
This is the second terralux clicky switch that has destroyed itself and the mini mag attached to it. Has anyone else had a problem like this before? I put the first one down to having a really old mini mag or a fluke clicky switch, but this is the second time it has happened and with a brand new mini mag as well....

img1075f.jpg

both times they seem to have gotten cross threaded somehow..

img1076s.jpg

img1077j.jpg

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that I replied before the big crash that I've encountered similar thread issues with two or three Terralux switches. My first Terralux switch threaded to my AA Mini Mag perfectly. The next two or three threaded very tightly. The fix was to use a lot of lube, work the tailcap back and forth, advancing it a bit at a time, until the tailcap can thread all the way onto the Mini Mag without undue resistance. If you just crank it on, especially without a lot of lube, the result that you show above is what I would expect.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first one that I bought 3 years ago had very loose threads and I had to tighten it on with pliers (its okay it already had the color beaten off of it) the last 2 I bought this year had very good threads that engaged well. You could try changing the o-ring to a thicker one to increase the friction there, and as Justin said you need to add lube to the threads, they don't come with a good coating so the aluminum galls thats what it looks like in the picture, basically the threads cut each other and then it cross threads and you need to open it with destructive force.

tattoosteve99

Newly Enlightened
Sometimes the pitch of the thread is correct, but it needs a relief for it to fit properly. Like these symbols <> If they are perfectly made (rarely) then the will fit too tight with no give inside the thread to allow it to be tightened. The thread ends need to be squared off a bit (to small to see with the naked eye) to fit properly. If the lube trick doesn't work that good, try a little light sandpaper, say 400 to 600 grit on the tailcap threads to see if it works.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search for the comprehensive grease and lube thread on CPF. Great stuff! :)