How do you stay fit?

guncollector

Enlightened
Just curious. Seems we have alot of "active" and "outdoorsy" folks here at CPF, so it would seem natural that many also try and stay fit.

Personally, I run 3-4 times/week, whatever it takes to get in about 15 miles/week. Occasionally, I'll cross-train with a bike ride or a hike. With a hectic work/travel/family schedule, beyond that, I don't have much time.

How about the rest of you guys and gals?

leddite

Enlightened
for me, it's not time, so much as motivation...

i've been doing kickboxing for 5 yrs now, more than that "tai-bo" thing, but less than full on combat. we're in the middle somewhere. full impact kicking and punching on bags, and sparring with teacher only. LOTS of calithentics; situps and pushups are our air. lots of various cross training. it can motivate me a lot.

mtn biking, and slalom skateboarding/snowboarding as i can. probably should do more. walking/hiking too.

i find that correct diet maintains my weight, and exercise my muscles,energy and mood more.

guncollector

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
leddite said:
i find that correct diet maintains my weight, and exercise my muscles,energy and mood more.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please elaborate. I'm quite interested in your methodology.

I've been "generally" following Dr. Barry Sear's Zone diet, to pretty good effect. Like many, I "cheat" far too often on the carbs (fries, chips, breads...).

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try to run around 30+ miles a week and lift 2 to 3 times. I also mountain bike and partake in other outdoor activities (ultimate frisbee, hiking, juggling, etc.) whenever I have the time. I tend to eat a minimal amount of red meat and lots of pasta/bread/fruit.

-Mike

LukeK

Enlightened
I've gotten into the habit of biking a few times a week. On a good week I'll go for a ride perhaps 4 or 5 times a week. Somedays it'll be a longer 25 mile or so ride, somedays it's only around 12-15. I find that it keeps me in fine shape, although goodness knows my endurance could be better. Unlike Xrunner though, I love my red meat and I eat it quite a bit.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
weights and many many sit ups cardio i do jump jacks abs sit up lots a em

Kristofg

Enlightened
Mountainbike, inline-skating, running, swimming, cycling, salsa, tennis, frisbee, fitness, badminton and play-fighting with my sister in general (the kind where you try to get on top of eachother and won't give up untill one of us surrenders. At 26, this seams to freak people out when you do that in public /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )
No special training schedule, just whatever I feel like at the end of the day when I get home.

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
Road biking - training for centuries. Did the Hotter 'n Hell 100 mile in Wichita Falls, TX a few weeks ago in around 6 hours; it was 104 degrees when I finished.

Typical week is 15-25 miles 3-4 times at near max heart rate, 30-60 mile ride ride on the weekend. Winter is a drag, though.

Other than that, mountain biking on occasion and Colorado mountain backpacking with the Boy Scouts.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny that you mention family, Ron. I used to mountain bike pretty regularly until this year. Now just chasing after my 3 ever-more-active kiddies seems to be all it takes.

My body is opposite of most, though -- If I don't exercise I lose weight (to a point). Only now that I'm about 40 have I found myself noticeably out of shape sometimes. Getting into computer programming has done worse damage than anything else. What a hugely fun but also annoyingly sedentary occupation.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eat right.
Exercise.
My weekend entertainments tend to be very physically strenuous but I am a bit of a slacker during the week. I still get out and run 3 miles a couple of weekdays a week.
For my weekend activities I tend to seek the company of very fit companions in their 20s and 30s. I am in my 50s and find that if I slack off on my conditioning these kids are going to start kicking my A$$. That tends to be a motivator for me.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
For exercise, I work in the yard . . . hard. In fact, I wear a pulse monitor with memory while I'm out there and check the results when I'm through.

I should be doing some mowing and sawing right now, but it's hard to drag myself away from CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello guncollector,

I picked up a kayak to tone up with. It was working great until I got lazy and got a sail for it. I still get a pretty good work out.

Tom

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
6pOriginal said:
Being in the AFROTC, waking up at 5:30am every MWF for the PT kept me in pretty good shape

[/ QUOTE ]

You know you're in the Air Force when you think that waking up early kept you in shape /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just cross service kidding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think the military had it right with the standard PT plan. Strength exercise followed by endurance training. Occasionaly mix it up with some oddball training and you've got yourself a plan.

-Jason

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bicycle and run mostly with a little tennis and basketball thrown in once in awhile. Running builds up the cardio quickest but is hard on the joints so I rarely do it more then once or twice a week. Also I can bicycle longer and burn more calories per session. How I miss working second shift as far as having the days along with the daylight and increased energy to exercise. I could exercise outside generally thru October and warmer days of November. Now already in the beginning of September, I have to immediately exercise after work before it gets dark. A few more weeks at best and then I'll be relegated to the health club for the next 7 or 8 months. Depressing....

Tomas

Banned
I don't.

But I'm still in shape.

'Round' is a shape.

T_sig6.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
swimming mostly, running 6 miles a week, I know it's not much, but it's something. I think the swimming really does it for me.

Stefan

Enlightened
There is very few options available for me being in a wheelchair. I get on a hand cycle (modified 3 wheeler so the physically challenged can go biking) and usually try to do 20 km (12 mi) a day for a minimum of 3 times a week. This alone is usually a 80-90 minute job per day. There was a point last year where I was out biking so often I was losing like 5 pounds of fat in a week. I sure miss those days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bourbon, and a healthy imagination!

Actually I walk to work, cycle and eat alot of stuff that's supposed to be good for you (are you gonna try it? I'm not gonna try it! Hey let's get Mikey)

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

guncollector

Enlightened
My hats off to all you gents who maintain a fitness regimen, as I know how difficult it is to stick with it.

I do believe in yin-yang of sound mind and body, as the two are inextricably related and integrated.

Tonight, I made the mistake of two hard runs in consecutive days, and I'm paying the (physical) price tonight. "Honey, where's the advil?"