Lightforce mod - am I on the right track?

Z

z_gazzalin

Just interested in some advice/tips/thoughts on a mod I am doing. I needed a light weight portable spot with a dimming option. I know lightforce sells the rechargeable enforcer which I have tested. I was not happy with the battery life and long charge time and also the fact that they only recommend a max 30w bulb. So I decided to make my own. I have fitted a 60w dimmer unit into an old lightforce body and I am about to fit the bayonet battery base from a pansonic 14.4v torch to the bottom of the lightforce handle. The battery pack to be used is a 14.4v 3.0AH Li-Ion type (used with cordless drills etc) later to be upgraded to the 3,3AH batteries.

I fitted a 50w halogen bulb and tested with a 170mm reflector. The light is perfect for my requirements. It easilly lit up trees at 400m. I will be using it dimmed to approx 40% power 95% of the time only turning up brightness to 100% the other 5%. Using these settings the battery lasted 1h 45m which will give me over 3 hrs use with a spare battery (just what I was after).

My main concerns are:

1: Bulb life (The voltage under 100% load is 15.4v and at approx 40% load is 15.8v) as I have blown 2 second hand bulbs during testing. Is the voltage too high?

2: Battery life withoout a low voltage cut out. (The Panasonic torch/drill has a flashing LED warning light at first then safety shut out if not turned off). Will the Panasonic battery pack's circuit board still cut off at low volts?

Has anyone tried a mod similar to this?

Thanks in advance any input would be greatly apreciated.