XENO E15 V2 --- A Quick Review

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Thanks to Karol of Zhongwin, received this package a couple of days ago.

E15v2_01.jpg

Let's take a look at some pics... :grin2:

Package contains Xeno E15 v2 with Cree XP-E 7B Q3 emitter.

E15v2_02.jpg

Like most other Xeno products, Xeno E15 v2 comes in a metal case.

E15v2_03.jpg

The light and accessories are nicely put into shaped foam... :thumbup:

E15v2_04.jpg

Full contents of the package...

E15v2_05.jpg

- Xeno E15 v2 flashlight

- Battery extender for 2 x AA configurations

- Lanyard

- 2 O-rings

- Spare switch

- Intruction manual

Another photo of the light with battery extender...

E15v2_06.jpg

Xeno E15 v2 with battery extender installed... (notice the warm output from the front of the E15 v2? :thumbsup: )

E15v2_07.jpg

Xeno E15 v2 with OP reflector...

E15v2_08.jpg

A close-up of the XP-E emitter...

E15v2_09.jpg

As with most releases from Xeno, the front bezel is fitted with a Stainless-Steel lens retaining/protective ring. Another signature from Xeno is the use of GITD o-ring at the front bezel...

E15v2_10.jpg

nice...

A photo of the E15 v2 head...

E15v2_11.jpg

The head and body are inseparable and it evidently gives a good thermal path for heat dissipations.

The tail end... with GITD tail boot... another common from Xeno flashlight...

E15v2_12.jpg

Xeno E15 v2 has a reverse clicky switch, with 3 modes, Med - Low - High. Although the manual says it is a Low - Ultra Low - High, but the output is really Med - Low - High. :nana:

and because of the recessed tail-cap design, it supports tail-standing. :thumbup:

The body of the Xeno E15 v2...

E15v2_13.jpg

a very aggressive knurling design, provides a very good grip even when our hands are wet... but wifey thinks this is too aggressive... :ohgeez:

Inside view of the tail-cap...

E15v2_14.jpg

Inside view of of the head contact, with spring at the head contact.

E15v2_15.jpg

this design should prevent accidental mode changing upon impact.

My impression

I'm pretty impressed with the built quality to say the least, besides the normal XP-G 1B cool white, Xeno's decision to offer the option with XP-E 7B Q3 warm white tint is really adding icing on the cake (I know, I know, I am bias because I'm a warm tint fan :nana: ). The 7B Q3 warm tint in this unit is very close to those warm-white XP-G offered by other manufacturers, tho it is leaning towards yellow than orange, like an over-driven incan... nice! In addition, unlike other manufacturers, XENO goes with an OP reflector which in my opinion is just perfect for an EDC light like E15 v2.

Other features:

- No PWM

- long runtime on low

- double o-ring design

- supports 14500 Li-Ion battery

- good thermal path

My runtime test and observations using alkaline AA and Eneloop AA...

Alkaline

- On high, light starts to dim at ~minute 20 and will continue to dim down to low (ultra-low) mode for the next couple of hours (~3 hours)

- On low (ultra low), *coming soon*

Eneloop

- On high, light starts to dim at ~minute 50 and will continue to dim down until it shuts off at minute 70.

- On high, light is hot to the touch when run for 20 minutes without active cooling, temperature reads ~49.2°C

- On low, ~31 hours... :thumbup:

AW 14500 (starting Voltage: 4.16V)

- On high, light automatically shuts off at minute 32 (cell reads 3.16V upon removal from light)

A few current draw reading without tail-cap using DMM

- Alkaline: Med (~400ma), Low (~50ma), High (2.1A)

- Eneloop: Med (450ma), Low (40ma), High (2.2A)

- AW 14500 LiIon (cell at 4.08V): Med (~900ma), Low (~290ma), High (~1.6A)

I do see myself EDC-ing this light (without the extender). However, I wish there is a clip for ease of clipping to my pants pocket tho... :naughty:

LanternLover

Newly Enlightened
I got my E15 just a few days ago. Mine is the XM-L T4 warm white version. I really like the tint. It is my first warm white tint flashlight and I will pay more attention to the tint from now on. I like the build quality as well although I think the switch is a little soft in comparison to the other flashlights I have, and I wish that it had a momentary on feature. Also, unscrewing the body (when I open it to insert batteries) feels a little rough. I am guessing that the threads need to be cleaned and lubricated. Am I right? Is there something I can get at a local store that would be good for lubricating the threads of flashlights?

Joe Hone

Newly Enlightened
Haha, they're $57.99 shipped on *bay. Nice light, nice configuration in 1AA/14500 or 2AA. It would be a nice light to have as an AA backup in the event other battery types aren't available.

iron potato

Enlightened
Dual O-ring on the extended tube :thumbsup: Wha'bout the main tube ? Also dual O-ring ?

I liking this one... gonna get a Neutral T5 XM-L... beam shot anyone ? :wave:

Joe Hone

Newly Enlightened
They are pretty expensive here in the USA but I found the E15 in XP-G in China for $26, which is less than the USA price of the EOS. If you shop it you'll do well on the price, including shipping. I have the XM-L and XP-G and I prefer the XP-G, but both will run 14500 in single cell mode and both are a lot of light for the money!

LanternLover

Newly Enlightened
... Also, unscrewing the body (when I open it to insert batteries) feels a little rough. I am guessing that the threads need to be cleaned and lubricated. Am I right? Is there something I can get at a local store that would be good for lubricating the threads of flashlights?

Anyone?

iron potato

Enlightened
I use Nyogel (more fluidity 760G for fine threads & greasy 779ZC for coarse threads) from Nye Lubricants after cleaning my flashlights, carefully take out all the O-rings & wipe clean with tissue paper, cloth / cotton bud dab with denatured alcohol on the threads / end cap contact area, then run a light coat on the threads & make sure all the O-rings were well coated for their weatherproof purpose, you can get Nyogel from
http://www.lighthound.com

LanternLover

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Just realized that there is a dedicated thread for lubricants and grease. So much more to learn!