Quark Mini AA2 Impressions

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Submitted for consideration of including it to the Reviews Forum

I admit it is a kinda late for a new light review, yet I feel there are things in it that are not mentioned elsewhere....(The bulk of one has could say can be found in the Selfbuilt's own review here.)

My take on it...

Why I Bought This Flashlight

This is the first light I am getting since I joined CPF without rationalizing a need for.

I really do not need it. But I got it for another reason.

I believe the Quark Mini AA@ is the light the current MiniMag should be. Slim, Proper Length, Proper Power (or maybe a bit more than expected), Properly useful versatile.

MiniMAg has found its place in a hoard of applications, and lost it. Among these HVAC Server maintenance guys come to mind as proper users for both lights (then now).

The Quark Mini AA2 is long and slim enough to fit in a paint marker's place in a bag, tool case or shirt pocket. Due to the double AA setup has sufficient runtime to be left on for extended periods of time. Turn it on, leave it in a place that illuminates your work area well and you are done...

Oh! and it is not that small like an AAA light to be forgotten or lost amidst the rage of your tool bag.

Another use for it, is filing the role of a backup light for a traveler.... Not big and AA powered. And with a multitude of modes. Put that in your bag and forget about it, till needed.

User Interface / Modes

Among the twisties this light has a very well balanced interface.

Sequence of mode changing is Low-Med-High-Low-Med-High-Strobe-SOS-High Beacon- Low Beacon.

The light does not memorize the last mode used. Twist it off-on and jumps in the next one. Leave it off for 2 seconds and will return to Low mode at the start of the sequence.

I did have some trouble though with this sequence....

The Beacon modes flashes 5 times before emitting to their delay pattern. Jumping from SOS (3 strong blinks) to the High Beacon mode (5 strong blinks) is not easy unless you count the modes. Else you will losing this mode and going straight to Low Beacon.

And you got to be careful when twisting the head....If you turn and press at the same time, you might end up cycling through modes too fast to follow. Take your time; it is not the end of the world.

Measurements

measurementsz.jpg

Close-up Pics

his is a view of the Electronics PCB...Notice the particular shape...it seem like a clever PCB surface saving idea!

combo10.jpg

Close-up of the tailcap end.....the battery tube seems reversible. I am hoping for a clickie assembly.

Comparison Pics

igp6558.jpg

Fenix L0D-CE, Rexlight 2.0 (slim for the AA standard). Quark MiniAA2, paint marker, MiniMagLED, Sunway M10R

igp6578.jpg

Same lights in a shirt pocket. (Rexlight has a cutdown Gerberr Infinity clip)

Quark MiniAA2 as an EDC light

So far I have carried it a little....Excluding the Fenix L0D-CE, this has been the most comfortable light when I EDC it on my shirts with a flap pocket (Columbia PFG). Maybe it is the combination of length and thickness. Probably the light's weight is distributed better on the pocket side and does not move much. On the other hand the Sunway M10R seems a bit lumby....YMMV

So.... Proper form, function, weight, size and a bit exaggerated performance. 4Sevens seems to be right about the Balanced Design of his lights.

All the best, Kostas