Need A Bright Flashlight...

CPDHeliPilot

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am looking to purchase a flashlight, well as we all know there are tons of them. Here is what I'm looking for:

-Price less then $200

-Great distance

-Reliable

-White Light

-Bright

Those are my standards. The light will be used for night time police work, so possibly searching for someone or just to see. Since it could be used as a searchlight it needs to have some good distance, I'm not asking for it to be able to flood an area, a very thin beam is fine, but if it floods then that's fine also. Right now I'm currently using a Maglite 4D LED, I must give it the credit it deserves, it has some okay distance and it's fairly bright. But, it's just to bulky and I'm looking to move onto something brighter and something that has a further distance.

If I am unable to find a flashlight that I feel would be okay then I guess I will be stuck with my bulky maglite. Thank you.

EDIT: I just found a checklist posted by another member, maybe this will help with suggestions.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.

__XX__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.

____Less than $50.

____Less than $100.

____Less than $150.

__XX__Less than $300.

____I have no limit.

____I'm flexible, tell me what you got.

____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

__XX__I want a flashlight.

____I want a headlamp.

____I want a lantern.

____I want a dive light.

____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.

____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).

____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

__XX__Holster carry.

____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.

____I don't care.

____I don't know.

____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

__XX__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)

__XX__HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)

____I don't know.

^ I will take a look at LED HID ^

6) Manufacturer:

__XX__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)

____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)

____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)

____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

^ As far as battery type, I don't care. ^

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).

____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).

__XX__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

__XX__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

^ There is no max. limit on lumens, but I know the more lumens the higher the price will be. But there is no max limit. ^

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)

____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)

____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

__XX__150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

^ The light should have enough run time to allow me to search for a suspect on foot. I will most likely just use the car spotlight unless I need to be on foot. As long as the run time is not like 1-30 minutes then I should be fine, but I can compromise so still post even if it has a short run time.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).

____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

__XX__Critical (Police, Fire, Search Rescue, Caving, Survival).

____I don't care.

____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).

____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).

__XX__I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).

____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).

____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).

__XX__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

____I don't care.

____I don't know.

____Other, please specify____________________.

^ The ones selected are what I prefer but I will take a look at all ^

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.

__XX__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

____I want a programmable light.

____I want a selector ring.

__XX__I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)

____I want SOS mode.

____I want a beacon mode.

____I don't care.

____I don't know.

^ I would like to have a flashlight with the settings selected but I will take a look a flashlight without the settings that I have chosen ^

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).

__XX__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).

__XX__Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)

__XX__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

____I don't care.

____I don't know.

____Other, please specify____________.

^ Again I will take a look, but it has to be something that can be used for police work ^

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).

____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).

____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.

____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)

____Pocket/belt clip

__XX__Holster

____Wrist/Neck Lanyard

____Crenulated bezel

____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

^ Holster is really recommended and it's actually something I need, but it does not have to contain it, I would prefer that you can at least buy it separate but if you can't that's fine. ^

CPDHeliPilot

Newly Enlightened
Well, unfortunately all of the post in this thread were erased due to the problem that CPF encountered, I am just happy that CPF is back. I just want to update everyone that I went ahead and bought the Fenix TK35. I dislike the design on it very much, but the videos I have seen and what I have heard I think that the design wont matter after all. It should be here tomorrow I am very excited and I can't wait to test it.

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
Nice! Now let the LED bug bite you a little harder and start looking at the LX2 Lumamax. For police work, I'd say that's a great light to have by your side and you can grab one for 20 percent off at Spyder Tactical with a cpf code.

srfreddy

Enlightened
I think you might of been better served with a TK35, but thats just me. The two lights are a bit different.

belomeclone

Enlightened
Eagletac M3C4 XM-L.

Well, this was a quick topic. It's easily the best flashlight out there at the moment. I mean, if you like lighting up everything you point it at and having it fit nicely in your hand... if you aren't into that don't get it.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Eagletac M3C4 XM-L.

Well, this was a quick topic. It's easily the best flashlight out there at the moment. I mean, if you like lighting up everything you point it at and having it fit nicely in your hand... if you aren't into that don't get it.

Uh...... No? The TK35 is smaller, reliable, and has only a plastic tailcap.

Disco-Dave

Newly Enlightened
I can guarantee u wont be disappointed with the tk30 when u get it ive had mine for about a year now i work on large building sites as a security guard in Scotland, so need to light the place up to check houses, scaffolding etc. Its a great light and the brightest one ive had so far i love it.

rbeltran

Newly Enlightened
Cheap/awesome light is the Dorcy 41-4299 my wife got it for me for xmas. It's super bright and the beam goes a good 200 yards and stays tight. Only thing is the battery sucks my ***. You need to replace it with a NiMh. The original battery is NiCd.

CPDHeliPilot

Newly Enlightened
I apologize, I meant to say the TK35. Sorry about that, but I did receive my TK35 today and was very excited. In the pictures it looks completely plastic (IMO) but to my surprise it was not. I put my 4 CR123A batteries into it and I turned it on and wow it was very bright. There was some smoke in the house which came from a cigarette (I don't smoke) and I decided to shine the light through it, and I seen a beautiful beam coming from this little monster, this was around 3:00PM so soon I will check it out in the dark since it is now 7:53PM. I spent plenty of time trying to decide on a light that I should get and I came across this and I said to myself "This is it".

The TK35 is a very durable feeling light, I have not yet dropped it and I don't plan to. The light comes with a lanyard, nylon holder, and a spare o-ring. It also comes in a very nice box. The light is has 2 buttons on the tail of the light. The big button is for turning the light on and off. If you just want temporary lighting you can just slightly press the button in and it will stay on as long as you are slightly pressing on the button. There is also a little button on the back which was a wonderful idea. Once you have the flashlight turned on you can press the little button to change brightness The brightness modes are low, medium, high, and turbo. You can also hold the little button and it will cycle between SOS and strobe. Another wonderful feature is the fact that it has a memory feature, and by that I mean if set your flashlights brightness to low then once you turn it off and back on it will still be on low.

Okay, I just decided to test it out while the dogs were outside in the back yard and I shined it at a house (Sorry!) and it lit the whole house up. The house is 2 stories but it looks like it could be a 3 story house. So, I went upstairs and grabbed my Maglite 4D LED because I wanted to compare, so I shined my maglite at the same house and it did not do bad, but it did not light up the whole house. I never thought that I would get into flashlights and spotlights but after being exposed to them and seeing what they could do I fell in love.

I really recommend the TK35 if you are on a tight budget. It's also a great if you want a flashlight that is fairly small but is a monster. This is my first 'real' flashlight, so I don't have much knowledge. I am trying not to turn flashlights into a hobby, because flashlights are not cheap but they are wonderful.

CPDHeliPilot

Newly Enlightened
Hi AaronG, I personally find the size reasonable for day to day. But, you must take in consideration I just upgraded from a Maglite 4D LED. This light ceases to amaze me! This morning around 8AM I decided to shine the light in the hall-way and there was a nice beam. I was surprised, also my hall-way is not dark, but it's not bright, it's sort of dim looking. Amazing light! I can't wait until I get my next light, but I am in no rush because this little TK35 has officially blown me away.

But overall I think the size is great, it's also wonderful that it comes with a holder! I just wish that I could find a leather holder for it, but nylon is good as well.