Aftermarket Maglite Xenon bulbs: 4-Cell Shootout

guncollector

Enlightened
Recently, I received a number of bulbs for evaluation from our esteemed CPF Owner, David W. If you haven't been following the previously posted test and beamshot comparisons, here are the links:

Aftermarket Maglite Xenon bulbs: Carley v. Sears

Carley Xenon Stars in a Maglite (Comparison & Pics)

Among the many bulbs included for testing, were two aftermarket Xenon bulbs for Maglite 4-Cell flashlights. Pictured below (from left to right: Maglite OEM Kyrpton, Maglite Mag-Num Star Xenon, Radio Shack XPR113 Xenon).

4dc3.jpg

Note the difference in the bulb-shape of the new Mag-Num Star Xenon (center). It features a slimmer, and elongated "tubular"-style bulb-shape--much like the Carley bulbs.

Anyway, enough of the preliminaries, here are the beamshots (all on "tight" defocus, in identical Maglite 4D-cell units, with brand new Duracell alkaline batteries installed):

First, Maglite OEM Krypton vs. Radio Shack XPR113:
4dc1.jpg

While difficult to tell in the picture, to the naked the XPR113 does appear slightly whiter in color. Overall brightness appears to be roughly equal, which surprised me too.

Next, Maglite OEM Krypton vs. Maglite Mag-Num Xenon Star:
4dc2.jpg

Here the Mag-Num Xenon Star outshines the standard Krypton bulb. Also, the side-spill light in teh form concentric rings also provide a bit more "area" light (even on "tight" defocus). It does appear however that the "batwing"-characteristic beamshape affects even the Mag-Num Xenon Star (again like the Carley bulbs). In reality, the batwing is not really terribly distracting, and can be remedied with the use of appropriate micro-washers to "center" the bulb (you can get these washers from Carley).

I wish I had a Carley 4-cell xenon star to compare to the Mag-Num Xenon Star, perhaps down the road I'll get around to ordering one for testing and comparison.

Summary: If I were to choose a new bulb for my 4-cell flashlight, and had to choose between the Maglite OEM Krypton, Radio Shack XPR113, and Maglite Mag-Num Xenon Star, I think the hands-down winner in the new Maglite Mag-Num Xenon Star.

The Mag-Num Xenon Star is brighter, has good beam-shape, and provides more "spill light" (area light) even on tight focus. The bulb should be available for fellow forumites at your local Home Depot and/or hardware stores.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If it ever gets to where I can show beamshots, you will all go crazy trying to get 3cell Zenon Stars for 3cell Maglites.

A 2cell ZS in my 2D Mag is brighter but not as nice beamed as my Stinger HP. My 3cell ZS in a 3D Mag has the nicest tightest HOT spot of ANY of my lights!

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
I agree with you guys, the xenon mag-num star bulbs are nice. Just picked up one tonight at Home Depot for my 2C mag. It is very white and focuses to a really tight spot. Of course when set on flood, you still get some rings. Some WriteRight should fix this later tonight. Right now I have to snowblow the driveway..it's snowing pretty good here in central NY as I wrire this. I also want to check out my green laser in a snowstorm!
grin.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zenon Star are the Philips HPX30, HPX41 HPX20 - all Xenon bulbs Alan from HK informed us a while ago - actually CPF-er Wayne found some he might be willing to test-drive through Roy ?

Klaus