SF Z17 lens replacement kit pyrex!?!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[EDIT] ****Please see my question in the thread below: In short, is the Z17 lens replacement kit pyrex? I was told it was. What is the replacement lens part number for a C2 pyrex lens?****

I finally decided on a SureFire to buy (my first!) but I am worried that I am wrong about something. I was under the impression that the 6P and D2 both had pyrex lenses. Is this correct? I actually called SF customer service to ask them and the person with whom I spoke insisted that the 6P--despite what their web site says ("unbreakable lexan lens")--has a pyrex lens In fact, he said that all the SF's except the G2, have pyrex lenses.

I am going to be rather annoyed if it is lexan, because if I had known that I would have gotten the C2 instead. Annoyance aside, if it IS lexan can it be changed to pyrex? The C2 and the D2 have the same size bezel on the head, right? (I know the M2 is larger and the E2 smaller). Could I simply order a C2 lens replacement and screw it onto my D2? I am concerned about this because I often have to use a flashlight continuously and I remember reading that a P61 HOLA in a G2 would melt the lens. Is that lens different than the D2 lens? Should I not be concerned in any case? What's the story here? HELP!

Also, what is the KT1 turbo head conversion like? Anyone have it and like it? Anyone have it and dislike it?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Does the SF D2 or 6P have a pyrex lens?

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
I was under the impression that the 6P and D2 both had pyrex lenses. Is this correct? I actually called SF customer service to ask them and the person with whom I spoke insisted that the 6P--despite what their web site says ("unbreakable lexan lens")--has a pyrex lens In fact, he said that all the SF's except the G2, have pyrex lenses.

[/ QUOTE ]
He is wrong they do not have Pyrex I just spoke with George the head of CS the other day and also purchased a new 6P directly from SF. It is Lexan, what I did is also ordered a C2 bezel which is Pyrex and then but it on my 6P. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Also, what is the KT1 turbo head conversion like? Anyone have it and like it? Anyone have it and dislike it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The KT's are ok but a bit heavy the SRTH is much nicer if you do a search on "SRTH" you will find a lot of info.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
I actually called SF customer service to ask them and the person with whom I spoke insisted that the 6P--despite what their web site says ("unbreakable lexan lens")--has a pyrex lens In fact, he said that all the SF's except the G2, have pyrex lenses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard that quote before and would really like to know the straight scoop. I've both a 6P and a Z3 and when I tap on the lens they both sound like plastic to me.

I wonder, since their site documentation contradicts the sales people, if it might be a case where the older models are Lexan and the newer models are Pyrex?

pahl

Enlightened

The 6P has a Lexan lens.

js, I was going to email you this link, but your email address is not listed so I will post it here.

Under construction:
www.Surefire6P.com

DumboRAT

Enlightened

Not directly related to the two lights in the original question but pertinent nonetheless (I hope!) due to the statement issued out by the SF CS rep. as cited in the first post above.

My Z2 is lexan.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

GeoffChan

Enlightened

I bought a replacement lens for my 6z and its Pyrex.

Surefire only brought out pyrex lens that fit Z, D, P series this year.

Geoff

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

No trust me the 2003 catalog is wrong they do not have Pyrex it was a misprint!

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

besides the G2 and G2Z, if your bezel has a notched nylon retaining ring, then the lens is pyrex unless there was a mistake during the assembly of the bezel at the factory. if there's no nylon retaining ring, then it definitely positively has to be lexan since there's no way you can press fit a pyrex lens without cracking it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

if you have a bezel with a press-fit lexan lens and would like a pyrex lens, you would have to buy a C2 bezel.

to give a better idea, this picture below is a surefire Z2, and it has a press-fit lexan lens, and you can see that there's no nylon retaining ring:
z2black_full.jpg

same goes for the 6P;
6pblack_full.jpg

and this picture below is that of a surefire C2-HA, which has a pyrex lens, and you can see the notched nylon retaining ring which is used to secure the lens in place:
c2ha_full.jpg

keep in mind that both the G2 and G2Z have retaining rings, but the G2 has a lexan lens and the G2Z has a pyrex lens. the reason for this is that lexan might not have the tensile strength that alumnium has to allow the installation of a press-fit lexan lens.

G2:
g2black_full.jpg

G2Z:
g2znra-01_full.jpg

6pOriginal

Enlightened

Where exactly is the retaining ring? Is it supposed to be in front of the lens? I don't have one on my 6p /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, could someone tell me exactly what the "bezel" is? I am assuming that it is the entire cylindrical part of the head, which holds the lens and lamp assembly. If so, does it screw directly onto the body, or onto another piece, the two of which together are refered to the "head"?

Do the pyrex lenses that are fit with a notched retaining ring --do those lenses install from the front, working end of the light, or from the underneath, lamp end?

At any rate, while I definitely want to put a C2 bezel on my D2, I still wonder if I absolutely need to do that. Will the P61 run for a full battery life or two (20-40 min) without melting the lexan lens? (If so, presumably because the aluminum sinks the heat away, while nitrolon does not, hence the warning about the P61 in the G2)

6pOriginal

Enlightened

I believe the term "bezel" means the entire head that you can unscrew from the body, and may be minus the lamp assembly itself (someone correct me if i am wrong). For the KT1 turbo kit, as far as I know, it has the same output (65lumen) as a P60, but it has a bigger reflector, so the light is focused to a tighter beam (think laser /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) but it does make the 6p or whatever you are using much bigger and harder to carry...etc

pahl

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
6pOriginal said:
Where exactly is the retaining ring? Is it supposed to be in front of the lens? I don't have one on my 6p /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The retaining ring would be on the front of the lens.

The bezel is the head with lens.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
6pOriginal said:
I believe the term "bezel" means the entire head that you can unscrew from the body, and may be minus the lamp assembly itself (someone correct me if i am wrong). For the KT1 turbo kit, as far as I know, it has the same output (65lumen) as a P60, but it has a bigger reflector, so the light is focused to a tighter beam (think laser /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) but it does make the 6p or whatever you are using much bigger and harder to carry...etc

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup you got it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Do the pyrex lenses that are fit with a notched retaining ring --do those lenses install from the front, working end of the light, or from the underneath, lamp end?

At any rate, while I definitely want to put a C2 bezel on my D2, I still wonder if I absolutely need to do that. Will the P61 run for a full battery life or two (20-40 min) without melting the lexan lens? (If so, presumably because the aluminum sinks the heat away, while nitrolon does not, hence the warning about the P61 in the G2)

[/ QUOTE ]

It screws in from the front however it is also glued so you can not easily replace it. The P61 will melt or deform the stock lens, you can call CS and they will send you a new lens that is easily replaced if it does happen. I however prefer the C2 Pyrex bezel to avoid this hassle.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

the lexan lens is also installed from the front, and it is forced past the lip that is on the inside of the edge of the bezel (press-fit).

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK everyone, here's an update.

I got my D2 and I love it. With the P61 it's very bright and very small. A nice combination. As was said before, it has a polycarbonate (lexan) lens which is press fit from the front.

I called SF customer service and ordered a C2 bezel. The person with whom I spoke hesitated in affirming that the C2 bezel will fit on the D2 body, so keep that in mind as I continue my narration. OK. So I wanted to order an extra pyrex lens to go with it, and he came up with the Z17 lens replacement kit, which is for the 6P, D2, D3, etc. and which I presumed was lexan. I asked him and he told me that the Z17 kit comes with a pyrex lens and "a special wrench that allows you to press fit the lens onto a 6P or D2 (etc.) bezel."!!!! So I asked "So if I want a pyrex lens on my D2, all I have to do is order the $3 Z17 lens replacement kit" "That's correct."

I'm sorry to doubt SF CS, but I didn't believe him. I ordered the C2 bezel. you CAN NOT press fit a pyrex lens I just can't believe it. Pyrex (or any glass for that matter) DOES NOT BEND without braking, wrench or no wrench.

Still, why would he have come up with the Z17 kit as a lens replacement for a C2? Is it possible that the kit has both a lexan and a pyrex lens, along with a wrench to unscrew the retaining ring? Does anyone who has access to a knowledgeable SF CS rep have any idea what the story is here?

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are the special spanner wrenches for the G2 bezel ring available from SureFire? If so, that would sure make a change-out to a glass lens on the G2 a cinch. Then you could run a G2/P61.

A-6

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

BTT

See my question above. Can anyone help, please?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

the surefire cs representative you spoke to was probably mistaken. i have two Z17 lens replacement kits i'm looking at now,and both are lexan lenses. just to be sure, i tried bending them a bit through the plastic packaging, and they flexed a bit. it is also too light to be pyrex. there is also no wrench, and all the Z17 kit comes with is a lenx, O-ring/gasket, a small piece of foam and an instruction sheet.

as far as i know, there is no lens replacement kit available for the C2. if you crack or damage the lens, you would have to change the entire bezel.