Best rechargeable light??

Jwade29

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. This is my first post over here at CPF. I've been lurking for awhile and doing some reading.

I've done some past history searches but couldn't find any really consolidated info. Im curious as to what all you Light guru's opinion is of the best rechargeable light.

By "best" I'm talking about things like durability, runtime, brightness, all around most fun to play with.

Right now all I have is a Arc AAA and surefire E2E and pretty much just use my lights around the house and for camping or plinking in the desert with my buddies.

Well just wanted to introduce myself and get my first of many questions out of the way.

Josh

Cones

Enlightened
Hi,

Welcome to one of best forums on the net. You will be pounded with more information than you would belive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not too sure on the rechargeable light.

I've got a Tigerlight on order and it get lots of good reviews. Comes with or without pepper spray as an option.
This was on offer for half price at Meridian check the Dealer section for details.

Surefire do a range of lights that you can charge, some are reported to not be too good on their batteries. They can be expensive though. The Dominator is one of the most powerful everyday flashlights available (500 Lumens).

Streamlight Maglight and others also do rechargeable lights.

I am sure that many others will chip in with their contributions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mark

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Tigerlight is pretty great. I bet it'd be nice to have at a plinkfest.

I can't compare the TL to Streamlights, but if you've been lurking, I'm sure you've noticed the lots of great posts on that topic.

For rechargeables I have the SF 8nx and the Tigerlight. I prefer the TL for its brightness and longevity, but the 8nx is so much smaller that it's far easier to keep with me.

But then again I dream about those brighter rechargeables...
10X
MC 990
KumKang
Nighthunter
(See Kenshiro's awesome review pages for most of those big, badboy superlights)

Blikbok

Enlightened
I have a SF 9n, 9an, and C3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I run NiMH in my Arc AAA, and Pila Li-Ion (two 150s cells) in the C3.

I'm a big fan of the Pila cells in 3-cell Surefires over dedicated rechargeables. I can't drop the whole light in the charger, but if I ever loose power on the Li-Ions, I can immediately swap in 123's. It's almost as bright as the 9's, but much smaller.

I understand the L4 runs nicely on a single Pila 168s cell.

Jwade29

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response and the welcome guys. I might have to check out the Pila Li-ion's Blikbok.

Out of the following which would you all recommend:
SL Stinger HP
SF 9AN
Tigerlight

Josh

Size15's

Flashaholic
Of the rechargeable flashlights I have, I'd rank them in this order:

SureFire 10X
SureFire 9NT
TigerLight (FBOP 8")
SureFire 9AN+KT3
SureFire 9AN
SureFire 8NX+[TurboHead]5 (SRTH)
SureFire 8NX
StreamLight UltraStinger

The Pila/Wolfeyes get good reviews here.
The MagCharger is also held pretty highly I believe.

Of the Three, StingerHP; 9AN; TigerLight (assume 8")
I would pick the TigerLight 8" as the most impressive.
It's the best non-SureFire in terms of performance that I have. The beam quality is poo, but it's bright, tight, good powerful runtime, great value. It's crude but it does what it says on the tin and I respect that.

Al

Jwade29

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if this is a dumb question Al but which light is the SF 9NT? I've looked over the SF website quite a bit but haven't seen that one. Got a link where I could do some reading up on it? Thanks a lot.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's a long discontinued model. Perhaps the best beam of any flashlight I own and have ever seen. Not the brightest, nor the most amount of light, but the 9NT makes me smile whenever I use it - it's just "superb".

It's a pain to carry - it has a 3" diameter TurboHead reflector. If it gets damaged I'll have an almost impossible time getting hold of a replacement TurboHead for it. I use it regardless because of it's amazing beam.

Al

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeable? Hmmm...

--Don't like SF rechargeables.
--Streamlight for most: Stinger series, Sl-20x for full size.
--Really like my Pila G-3.

--dan

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big full sized light:
Maglite rechargeable
Tigerlight (11.5" meant for OC cannister in tail end)
Streamlight Ultrastinger
Streamlight SL35 (very big)
Streamlight SL20
Surefire 10X

-The Mag has the tightest spot for the longest throw.
-The Tigerlight is very bright, but the beam isn't perfect.
-The Streamlight SL20 isn't as tightly focused as the Mag so it doesn't throw as far, but for closer distances it has a better beam, the same for the SL35.
-The 10X combines a pretty bright "everyday" light, either 65 lumens (180 minutes runtime) or 105 lumens (90 min), and a superbright wall of light (only 18 or so minutes)

Smaller lights:
Tigerlight FBOP (8") Small and bright but a little thick. Identical to the longer version, but no space for OC.
SureFire 9AN Can be made into a turbohead the 9ANT for longer range, but less side spill (or flood lighting).
Streamlight Stinger and Stinger HP (as well as the XT versions with the tailcap at the end). Decent and the best buy for the size. The only other light that comes to mind in the same size and price is the SureFire 8NX and 8AX (same thing, plastic or aluminum) which IMO isn't as bright as the Stinger. The Stinger HP or HP/XT blows it away.

Except for the two SureFires, you can find all of these for around $80 to $150. The 10X is close to $400, and the 9AN is around $200.

Blikbok

Enlightened
My C3 was $100 and the Pila kit was $20 for each cell and $30 for the charger, so just under $200 total.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
PILA GL4R gets my vote. 80 minute run time with 130 lumens. You can use (4) 123's and get 40 minutes at 190 lumens. The newest ones are shipping with a glass lens. If you don't want to use the LED tail cap you can get a clickie cap for it.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
madecov said:
PILA GL4R gets my vote. 80 minute run time with 130 lumens. You can use (4) 123's and get 40 minutes at 190 lumens. The newest ones are shipping with a glass lens. If you don't want to use the LED tail cap you can get a clickie cap for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you lock out the clickie?

Brightnorm

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
No the clickie isn't lock out, but the LED tail cap is. I have found that just 2mm twist of the bezel prevents activation of the light. Mine is used as my duty light so it is carrtied open on my belt. It has never let me down and is bright enough to use on traffic stops at night.

Streak

Enlightened
I have the SL Polystinger, Magcharger, CTZero Zero and Gamma Zero.

They all work very well but I find the Polystinger the most covenient to carry and it has superb light output.

If size is not the issue then the Zero or Magcharger will impress you with their light output.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Josh,

Welcome.

I think the most durable rechargeable light is the TigerLight. There are some issues with the beam pattern and the consistancy between lamp assemblies, but it is my favorite light. Another issue concerns the recharge time. In spite of all of the issues, it's a great light.

Next in line is the SureFire 9NT. This is just one awesome light. It is no longer in production, but LPS Tactical had some a few months ago. Smooth even beam, long throw, well balanced, and like Al said "it's a pleasure to use."

For shear power the SureFire 10X Dominates. It is a close to medium range light that throws a wall of light. It's kind of like turning on the headlights of your car. It is a bit spendy, and has a short run time on high beam, but it is quite the light.

For a tight beam and long throw, it's hard to beat the Mag Charger. When this light is focused to a tight beam, it just goes on and on and on.

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you end up with.

Tom

Francois1

Newly Enlightened
Hello Josh,

I might add that with the smooth reflector, the 9nt out throws even the new magcharger. I like this 9nt so much that I have 3 of them. I did a test comparing the 10x and the magcharger at long distances, but it was very difficult to see which one had greater throw. The 10x puts such a huge wall of light that it's more difficult to discern it's hotspot, it's "blended" in the beam. Much different is the magcharger: the hotspot is much brighter than the surrounding beam, giving a subjective impression of greater brightness. When I asked someone stationed 150 yards away which light appeared brighter, he couldn't decide neither.
If you're interested in the 10x, there is a summer sale at $325 at lpstactical.

François.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm,

The tactical clickable end cap of Pila light does have lockout feature. I found that its clickable switch is the best I could found (may be personal preference).

For rechargeables non-LED lights, I have SF 10X, 9AN, SL UtraStinger, SL20 w 35 lamp, Stinger XP, PolyStinger, Pila GL2, GL3, GL4, X990 and many others. For EDC, nothing beat GL2 and GL3 (I replace LED cap with tactical endcap). They're small, bright and low self-discharge rate. Among these 2, I like GL3 more since I could use 3x123 if li-ion is available in some situation. Besides, its charger is the smallest compare with all others and it's auto-voltage (110v to 220v). Don't travel without this:)

After having used li-ion lights for a few months, all my other rechargeables are packed except x990 which I stun people once in awhile.

Alan