Blackening aluminum and modding the old Elektrolumens XM-2

richpalm

Banned
Remember the old XM-2? I had two lying around and modded them both. Not a real good host, but I like making old things work again-that's why I restore antique radios also...

First: Is there any 3.7v li-ion option available that has the same diameter as the CR123 and the same length as two cr123's? IOW, a slim 18650, as it were? I don't have access to machining and I don't want to mess with boring it out. :fail:

Second: The edges of the ****-poor type II anodizing are worn through. (I only will buy type III HA now) I know a jury-rigged solution is a Sharpie but that rubs right off. Is there any blackening solution available that'll dress it up without it rubbing through? Maybe locally at a gun store or something?

I removed the old guts and a P60 dropin without the reflector dropped right in through the bottom of the head. :) A P7 and I got a good thermal path but it gets hot fast along with the primary CR123's. So I want a 3.7v solution and not have an explosion. :shakehead

I hacked it with a reflector from a cheap unknown light and got a glass lens in it (don't ask how!) and the result is a huge flood that blows away every other light I own. I'm not a throw guy-I need flood and lots of it. No crosshatch in the soft hotspot either! :eek:oo:

Practical? No! But I love the thing. :huh:

Dont tell me to put it in an L2 host-got those already... love em. Broke :broke:people dont do $$$ cerakoting or other $$$ options. So Im hoping I can find a blackening formula... a lot of this is to make do with whats lying around on the cheap for the hell of it! g

TIA for suggestions/links/comments.

Rich