Inova X5 ... Red LEDs ... single 123

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a supposedly new Inova X5, red LEDs on eBay and just received an old style case X5, red LEDs ... that runs with only one(1) 123 battery, not two.

I guess I can live with the old style case (although the clickie switch makes a loud springy noise.)

I'm not sure about the single 123 battery, however.

I didn't even know that was an option.

Any ideas as to how old a light I received?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you got a clone, not even a genuine Inova light. As far as I know, no versions of the X5 have ever had clickie switches. The early ones used two batteries and operated on a twist-head action. And I don`t think those ones came with red LEDs either. The next gen "X5T" with the grooves machined down the sides has a Surefire style push-momentary-twist-constant tail cap. The latest which have an octagon profile body uses the same switch I think.

Someone else more familiar with Inova products would be able to confirm or deny my theory - I may have missed one out and havn`t had any experience with the coloured LED models....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The red LED model should run off 1 123 cell, but that clicky switch sounds suspicious. However, since I've never seen a red X5 or any color X5T, I can't confirm this 100%.

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
Whoops ... not a clicky switch, sorry ... it's a similar thumb-press "momentary" on or twist-all-the-way-in-to-turn-on. That part is similar to my other Inova X5.

It was the single 123 battery that threw me for a loop.

Craig, since the RED LED model comes with a single 123 battery, will it have a similar run-time to a white LED 2 battery model?

Do you know if the new-style Inova, RED led comes with a single battery?

Upon further investigation, the "springy" sound is coming from the spacer Inova uses to take up the space normally occupied by two 123s ... at least what was used in this old style case single 123 model light I purchased. I can't seem to pry out the space either ... but the momentary on push produces a definately "springy" noise ...

I haven't purchased too much on eBay for fear of being burned. Lesson learned I guess.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I have a X5T in red and it has one single 123 cell, this is normal since the red LEDs do take a lower voltage. this red X5T is not the coolest thing, looses space and runtime on that spacer ... but IMHO you got what was described, the X5 means the old style body ...
bernhard

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
Danke Bernhard! Wie gehts?

The eBay ad said the XT was the "Tactical" which I thought meant the new style light.

I agree. The spacer was a shock! A noisy shock! And I'm not surprised it would lower the runtime.

How come I didn't read about this before on CPF????

Mim

Newly Enlightened
Let me get this straight:

It runs on ONE 123 cell but is the size of a 2 cell light?

It sounds like a cool light if it were shorter than the 2 cell X5's.

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
Same exact size as a two 123 Inova light.

I actually purchased nine (9) bright white Inova X5's from the good folks at CountyComm for my son to give as groomsmen gifts. One of my friends saw them ... and ask me to find him a blue LED.

I was looking at eBay for a blue LED X5, because CountyComm doesn't stock/sell blue LED X5's ... and grabbed this red LED on impulse (I know, I know, never act on impulse.)

I just wish I had known it only used one 123 battery ... and made so much noise.

I could live with old style case.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
my red X5T (fluted body) does not rattle at all. the "spacer" is not removable and has a spring-sustained contact to secure the battery. less battery rattle than my SF lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Danke, I_rv_too, es geht mir gut. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bernhard

Latest posts