Flashlight Holster: Fenix AB02 vs Nite-Ize Lite Holster

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Just bought the Fenix AB02 flashlight belt clip (as written on the packaging)... since I have the Nite-Ize Lite Holster which is similar, lets do some picture comparisons between them. :devil:

holster02.jpg

holster01.jpg

holster03.jpg

holster04.jpg

see the similarity in design on the clipping part? :eek:oo:

holster05.jpg

holster06.jpg

holster07.jpg

a closer look at the velcro fasterner

holster08.jpg

Now, let's try to fit a SureFire G2L into the holster

holster09.jpg

first, G2L in Nite-Ize holster

holster10.jpg

holster11.jpg

holster12.jpg

holster13.jpg

next, G2L in Fenix AB02

holster14.jpg

holster15.jpg

holster16.jpg

holster17.jpg

see the grease at the rotating mechanism on Fenix AB02? :sweat:

holster18.jpg

compare with Nite-Ize bone dry parts...

holster19.jpg

this is what Fenix AB02 can't do and Nite-Ize holster do it with ease... with TK40

holster20.jpg

(edit: :evilgrin: actually... Fenix AB02 can indeed accommodate TK40, but the velcro won't engage and it's difficult to pull out the TK40 from the AB02... :nana: )

another angle... (dusty tail-cap :sweat: )

holster21.jpg

yet another angle

holster22.jpg

following is a video showing the rotating mechanism on both the Nite-Ize Lite Holster (8 positions) and Fenix AB02 (12 positions)

:sssh:

Last edited:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice photos, it looks like the fenix holster would be better for smaller lights.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I love my Nite Ize holster but I actually don't like the rotating mechanism. Do you any ideas on how to disable it? I tried superglueing it but it broke easily.
I like to use it with my SF Z2 and 6P with the bezel down for Z2, it's like a less conspicuous V70, but still retains the light perfectly. I just hate how it rotates when I don't want it to!

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
I also have the Nite Ize holster. The rotating mechanism is indeed a little weak and turns to easy.

This one below is very strong, You really have to use force to turn it.
http://www.obrana.cz/euro-security.info/en/holders-a-holsters/for-flashlights
It's build by a European company, but they are sold in the US under the name BriteStrike.
brite-strike-articulating-tactical-holster-flashlight-accessory.html
opplanet-brite-strike-btl-quick-cam-roto-loc-flashlight-holster-btlquickcam.png

Best holster we found.
We also tried the SureFire V70, BlackHawk Flashlight Holder w/Mod-U-Lok Attachment, but both didn't perform very well under our work conditions.
Several other options were not good enough to bother mentioning.
We even started the path for developing a good tactical holster ourselfs.

This one also looks promissing (only fits on ATAC lights from 5.11).
http://www.code3tactical.com/5-11-tactical-series-belt-clip-holster.aspx
I tried to order one, but this US company won't ship to the Netherlands.

Hope this helped in your search for a good holster..

Last edited:

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Thanks for the great suggestions grizzlyb! Very interesting info. Unfortunately I am not in the LE business (although I'd like to be after university; I am not into science as much as I am into military/law enforcement!) so I don't use my holster often. I only use it when I am hiking or biking etc.
What I love about the Nite Ize is it is very low profile so it can fit in civilian dress quite well without looking too tactical. If you wear it with a jacket, it practically dissapears. I once had an ACU pattern one but I sold it; now I wish I hadn't, I want the bloody thing back!

Oh and thanks to rookiedaddy for doing this comparison, I was wondering what the difference was between these two holsters for a long time, but never bothered to find out.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
OK, This is getting annoying.

I found at least 5 company's that sell this holster . . . . .

45-9960.jpg

(5.11 Tactical Series Belt Clip/Holster)

www.nucrisp.com
www.copquest.com
www.511tactical.com
www.chiefsupply.com
www.workingforceoutfitters.com
www.rescuestuff.net
www.blumenthaluniforms.com
And lots more. . .
None will ship outside the US.
I want to test these holsters and can't even buy them.!@#$#%

Update:
except for 1, the Holster cost $9,99, the shipping to Holland is. . . . .$78,01, total cost for the holster $ 88,00
ARE THEY MAD?

Last edited:

Harry999

Enlightened
Grizzlyb,

Perhaps one of our friendly flashaholics in the US who is also in law enforcement might be able to help you out? :)

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
Hi Harry999,
Thanks for the sugestion.
I have some friends at the Dutch distributer of 5.11 stuff.
I'll first contact them and persuade them to import the item.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
Haha,
Some of the company's that don't do busyness with Europe are friendly though, I got this email from one of them.
Thank you for visiting . . . . .com
We noticed that you did not complete your order, and we wanted to do everything we can to help.
To complete your order in two minutes or less, just visit our simple order form:. . . . .

I did send her an email that I wanted to, but couldn't complete my order :+)

Last edited:

Rigged

Newly Enlightened
I love my Nite Ize holster but I actually don't like the rotating mechanism. Do you any ideas on how to disable it? I tried superglueing it but it broke easily.
I like to use it with my SF Z2 and 6P with the bezel down for Z2, it's like a less conspicuous V70, but still retains the light perfectly. I just hate how it rotates when I don't want it to!

I have a couple of Nite Ize cases/holsters and I too find the rotating mechanism annoying at best. One other downfall at least in my eyes is how it attaches to a belt. You need two hands to remove the holster which for some people is a good thing, but I would prefer something that is a bit more easily detachable. I would add the option for a belt loop to slip a belt through which would keep it closer and a bit more sturdy on the hip.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I can't believe it took nearly a year before this thread got any replies! Lost in the crash??

I have the Fenix AB02 and it is hard enough to rotate so it won't move on it's own, but you won't be stripping your belt off while doing so either. I personally love to use it on a backpack shoulder strap (it's like the third time I mention this today) with my IFE2. With the IFE2, I would say the length is the maximum so you can still manage operating the switch and the control ring. A smaller flashlight can work in it if all you need to access is the switch, but forget head rotation.

I would have been interested in the Nite Ize holster for some bigger lights, but now that it's been mentioned that it rotates on its own, I'll stick with my current configuration.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Wow, I can't believe it took nearly a year before this thread got any replies! Lost in the crash??

I have the Fenix AB02 and it is hard enough to rotate so it won't move on it's own, but you won't be stripping your belt off while doing so either. I personally love to use it on a backpack shoulder strap (it's like the third time I mention this today) with my IFE2. With the IFE2, I would say the length is the maximum so you can still manage operating the switch and the control ring. A smaller flashlight can work in it if all you need to access is the switch, but forget head rotation.

I would have been interested in the Nite Ize holster for some bigger lights, but now that it's been mentioned that it rotates on its own, I'll stick with my current configuration.
Wow, I never realised how old this thread was!

That is a pretty good idea to put the holster on a shoulder strap for walking, I might just steal that idea from you, Cataract.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I never realised how old this thread was!

That is a pretty good idea to put the holster on a shoulder strap for walking, I might just steal that idea from you, Cataract.

Go ahead, I stole it from someone else on here :devil:

NJ870

Newly Enlightened
Grizzlyb,

That euro security products holster looks great! It is exactly what I was looking for. Do you know of any places that I could buy one from? I don't see an option to do that on their website. Also the place would need to be able to ship to the US.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone knows where i could get the AB02 cheapest?

TEMPA

Newly Enlightened
I'm waiting for a Fenix TK41 to arrive today and looking for a suitable holster.

How easy is it to get the TK40 in and out of the Nite-ize stretch holster? Does it feel like it is on the edge of breaking the holster?

It seems as though the Nite-ize is the best solution to carrying the TK40 or 41 while remaining reasonably low profile.

The only other holster I have seen mentioned for the TK41 is the Maxpedition Universal but that looks very "tactical" and wouldn't really suit casual dress clothes IMO.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened

TEMPA

Newly Enlightened
Thanks rookiedaddy.

For $20 AUD delivered I might grab the Nite Ize. Can't really go wrong for 20 bucks. Getting it out of the holster easily and reasonably quickly is more important than getting it back in any way so it sounds like a good option.

candini

Newly Enlightened

I know this is an old thread but would like to know if either of these holsters would work to secure my Zebralight while jogging? I need something to hold it and do not like having it on my head. Thanks.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

With LEGO sets, we used to shove paper into rotating gaps to stiffen them up. Sandpaper rarely gives plastic the grip you want, but several (!) layers of paper may do the trick. If that doesn't work, a flexible glue (Hardware store silicone - I suggest 'waterproof') will probably work. Its flexibility will let it give a bit instead of snapping off.