Top Flashlight Picks for Corrections Officer/Prison Guard?

Z

z_dean407

Hi Folks,

I went about the simple task of going online to get a good flashlight last night. I am a research dweeb and had a dozen Amazon.com windows open with posts from this site and other review sites as well.

After a couple hours I changed my mind several times. :(

I eventually decided NOT to spend a lot on a light until next month. I got a Smith and Wesson Galaxy Elite 2 AA CREE Tactical Flashlight on sale for $24.99 plus a Streamlight 73001 Nano Light Miniature Keychain LED Flashlight for $5.99 to fulfill my immediate needs. While it may do the job, I'd like a higher end light just because I like nice gear.

I think I'd prefer the following, but am open to opinions. :)

1. Price up to $150 (can go higher if justified)

2. Doesn't have to be AA batteries, but would be cool if the light didn't eat whatever batteries it takes.

3. At least 2 modes for low/high, but prefer more. Saw one with a moonlight mode which seems cool.

4. Ability to strobe/temporarily blind inmates.

5. Prefer 200 LM or more...brighter the better. Yeah, I know less LM can still be good and I'm open, but want the most brightness for my $$.

6. Size within reason to carry on duty belt. A little bigger is OK with me.

7. Good warranty/customer service

8. Built like a tank construction

9. Reliability

I'll probably be using the light on medium for 30min-1hr or so every work day during locker/cell searches.

My price point was lower last night. While researching, I considered the Fenix TK11 G5, Fenix PD30 G4, Quark 123 Tactical G5, MG P-Rocket G5, EagleTac T20C2 Tactical, and now that my budget went up I'm looking at higher end models ElZetta's, SureFire's, etc...

I'd like a few solid recommendations as I know there is no 1 perfect choice for everybody.

I am a little confused by the M60 LED by Malkoff Devices. Some lights have them built in, whereas in other one can replace the lights stock unit with the M60 LED by Malkoff Devices?

I think, for now I'd rather stick with something stock so that I could utilize the warranty if needed.

At first I thought you guys were a bit off for being so obsessed with flashlights. But, being a dork I can now see the appeal. :)

Appreciate a few suggestions!

Regards,

Dean