Recommendations for an EDC Light

Z

z_mongoose088

Hello all,

I'll just be noting the details of what I'm looking for based on the sticky thread at the top. Just for some background information, I work sound and lighting at a university. In my often dark environments, A good light can really help you see the control boards!

This is the light I use right now:

http://www.amazon.com/LRI-PWK-Photon.../dp/B00006I4Y2

It's a pretty nice light, but sometimes when I'm looking for things underneath the stage that are a little further away, the light isn't strong enough. I plan to exclusively carry this on my belt with some kind of a holster.

The Details:

1. I'd like to purchase this from Amazon.com or a local shop. So whatever is available in those places are fair game.

2. Under 50 bucks. But depending on how realistic this number is, I can flex a bit.

3/4. I'd like a small flashlight that sits nicely on the belt in a holster (2 -5 inches).

5. LED. I want it to last a long time! I should add that I don't really need to keep it on for more than a minute or two at a time, when I'm adjusting something in the dark.

6. I want it ready to go, out of the box.

7. Ill use small watch batteries. (I dont know too much about batteries. As long as they arent super rare or super expensive, Im fine with it. Again, I hope I can order the batteries from amazon/buy it at a store).

8. The longest range I'd really need to look is across a big, dark room (like a shed or something). But I don't want it too bright, because sometimes I need to read papers in the dark, up close. [I'll continue to carry my photon light for the close up stuff if necessary, anyway]. I think all things considered, that means in the ~50+ lumen range.

9. I want an effective range of ~5 - 15 meters.

10. To restate from before, I only need the light on for brief periods of time (maximum of 5 minutes).

11. I want it to be tough. If I drop the light, it will almost always be on a hard surface.

12. I dont mind what kind of switch it uses. I just dont like the twisty types, where you loosen and tighten the head of the light to turn it on and off. I wouldnt mind a twisty if there was a ring on the back of the light that you could turn for activation. Im not super picky about this.

13. I think the output types for me will be dependent on price. At the heart of it, I can live with one output level. If I could have more, a blinking mode for signaling (hey, sometimes radios crap out on you) , and a lower and higher intensity setting, would be great.

14. Metal. As long is its strong, I don't care what type. Since I'll be carrying in a belt holster, I think the light is safe from scratches.

15. My primary concern is a white light. I'd be nice if it came with a holster (if it doesn't, can you recommend a simple one?)

I look forward to your recommendations. Thanks in advance for your help.