POST APOCALYPTIC "EDC" Flashlight, which ONE would you choose ?

Z

z_SixCats!

Hi all,

Food for thought. I was just wondering what CPF members would choose as their EDC Post Apocalyptic Flashlight ? In other words, what would you choose as your 28 days later/Night of the living dead light ? Correct me if Im wrong but, would AA batteries to be THE most common (available/easier to find) batteries durning a SHTF situation? If you like, you can list a SECOND (Backup) light as well. Being a newbie here at CPF, I have yet to purchase a serious light. I plan to go with the ELZETTA ZFL-M60-CS3S as my Post Apocalyptic EDC light. I am also interested in the SUREFIRE BACKUP and/or HDS Systems Clicky as my BACKUP light. Than again, perhaps I would be better off considering a AA model of some sort. Perhaps in a true SHTF situation, the ability to have loooonger running time (using low lums/extended battery life) and the more common AA batteries is most important! I look forward to CPF members input.

Regards,

SixCats!

SixCats!

Enlightened
Re: POST APOCALYPTIC "EDC" Flashlight, which ONE would you choose ?

Ha! I can't believe I found this old thread from when I was first a member before the CRASH. Too bad all the excellent responses have been lost.

Regards,
SixCats!

Kyiku

Newly Enlightened

Zebralight H51 with headband ; hands free apocalypse!

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd take something that could nearly duplicate sunlight...but could also be set low to conserve batteries or minimize attention...the new SF UB3T might do the trick. Would also need a backpack full of batteries...

Just noticed your old profile indicates you originally joined in '69...

Ymerej

Newly Enlightened

I'd probably get a crank flashlight WTSHTF...Batteries could be scarce by that time, and people would probably be shooting each other for 'em...i just hope they make one with at least 100 otf lumens when that time comes :whistle:

Tommygun45

Enlightened

I dont think the elzetta with an m60 would be the best choice. Reason being that it only takes CR123's and/or 17670's. CR123's will certainly not be that common out in the world, however, there might be alot more 18650's out there than you think. Almost any laptop you find will have 6, 9, or 12 18650's located in parallel in their battery. There was a thread either on here or in the batteries forum that shows you how to disassemble the battery in order to harvest the 18650's. If you really want to go the Malkoff route you can get a MD3 host and an M31 head. This setup can run on either 3 CR123's, 2 18500's or 2 AA batteries. It might also be able to run an 18650 with a spacer, not sure. That's versatility and dependability, being a Malkoff. Also, you would have to go with an HDS as one of the lights. One major possibility for a SHTF scenario would be the detonation of a nuclear bomb in the earths upper atmosphere. One explosion over the center of the US would send enough of an electromagnetic shock through our country as to wipe out virtually every electronic device. It would also probably overload powerlines. I think this is true at least I remember seeing a documentary on it on TV. Anyways the HDS lights are supposed to have potted internals thus making them resistant to electromagnetism and therefore more likely to survive. Any kind of World War against a major player, like China for instance, this method might be employed. However the launch of the ICBM would obviously trigger us to shoot back but either way. Maybe they have a nuke on a satellite stationed over our country, that would be a good idea.

Quark's are ok but my Turbo has just had too many issues. The clip mechanism somehow causes the tailcap to lose connection with the battery, probably something to do with the anodizing so I have to make adjustments to it every now and then to make it work. Or I have to rescrew the innards of the tailcap etc. Henceforth its dependability to me is limited. They do have great run times however. Therefore if you want to stick with AA's and dependability maybe the Surefire E2L AA would be a great choice. Surefire reliablness coupled with the ability to run AA's. I also have a SF Backup that is an excellent little light but it only gets you 1.5 hours on high. And it throws ok but its nothing crazy. The clip however allows you to wear it on a baseball hat so that would be another plus. Its also tiny and very lightweight so it wouldnt be a burdon. Also its excellent at extracting the last remaining bits of electricity out of run down CR123's. That would also be helpful.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened

I was also a member before the crash.
I'd choose my P100A2.

In the movie I am legend, he probably had a ton of batteries.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remember this thread....it was a good one.

I'd choose my Quark AA with the regular UI, and lots & lots of batteries.
I could always lego it with any of my other quarks (AA, AA2, 123, 123x2, 18650, Turbo, & Turbo X) for back up parts (heads, bodies, & tail switches.) Also, I would have all the battery options available with the quark line of lights (AA, Alkaline, Lithium, NiMH, CR123, 18650, 14500, RCR123, 17670.) I have tons of AA lithiums & CR123's in storage with some incredible shelf life, so I could be well lit for years. I just need to get a solar charger to be totally prepared. With the moonlight mode on this light I should be able to squeeze everything out of whatever batteries I used, plus the moonlight mode would help me go undetected by BG's. Great light & great system.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

I personally believe in having at least one for each battery type - never know what you're going to salvage. Let's just say I'm dragging a generator:

I probably originally said something like TK40. Now it would be my Predator: comparable output and throw, but can be mounted on a weapon and fits in a pocket.
I like the Quark lego idea, though: 1 flashlight, many battery types.

Side note: you shouldn't put a 2X123 tube on a Quark AA head: not the same voltage tolerance, but you can still use the 1X123 and 18650 tubes)

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened

I live in a cold climate so would have to go with lithium for the zombie era. I would choose my rusty, trusty E2DL. Durable, dependable, and I could store enough lithium batteries to last 10+ years (with care) whereas alkaline AAs etc would be either frozen or dead on the shelf long before. Of course in real life I would have any number of lights for many battery formats, or a second for AA use at least- and wouldn't actually live long enough to worry about battery shelf life.... There is no defense from the undead!

ragweed

Enlightened

The Zombie's rule! They will grab the light from you & beat you with it until you pass out. They will then turn you into a Zombie like they are! Hehheh.

00Moonshine

Newly Enlightened

In a CR123 format it'd be my SF E2D LED. In a AA, Eagletac P20A2 Mk II. If I had to go with one it'd be the SF and cross my fingers that I could source CR123's.

SixCats!

Enlightened

Hi guys,

Now THIS is what I'm talking about! Thank you all for responding to this old (new) thread. Tommygun45, thank you for your very thought out response. When I first started this thread, I was a real newbie. Now, I'm a "kindof newbie". I really like the ELZETTA for it's solid build and AK47 toughness. Truth be known however, I know very little about Batteries so, the information you provide is of great value to me. So, which batteries are best for long term storage, longest lasting in general use, least effected by very cold weather, etc. Of course, it makes sense to own SEVERAL Flashlights using different battery types. In one of my recent thread, one CPF member was kind enough to explain in detail about the different batteries. I need to find that post and place it in this thread so I have a greater understanding of what's what regarding batteries. What provides the greatest run time ? Tommy, I will check out your suggestion on the Elzetta for different batteries options. At any rate, I would want a "stash" of different batteries (and Flashlights) and a mess of those tiny PHOTON/PHOTON type lights that provide just enough light to move about in the dark without attracting attention. I'm not sure of the shelf life of this type of light's battery but, they sure are handy to just keep em placed in pockets, cars, etc. Anyway, lots of excellent information guys, keep it coming!

Regards,
SixCats!

StarHalo

Flashaholic

So, which batteries are best for long term storage, longest lasting in general use, least effected by very cold weather, etc.

Any kind of lithium primary cell will last roughly ten years in storage, give the longest runtime in a medium/high drain application, and will work predictably down to -40 degrees. That would include Energizer "Ultimate" lithiums, CR123s, and the button cells you find in Photon-type lights.

There are two schools of thought regarding sourcing batteries in an emergency situation:

- That a common cell is best because it's cheap and available everywhere. An example would be rushing into a senior citizen's house during a power outage emergency and your battery is barely providing enough light to continue; even in that environment, there are AA cells all around you - in the remote control, in a clock, in the digital thermostat, etc.

- That a rarer cell is best because it's less coveted. An example would be during a citywide emergency event where your local store's battery display has been completely cleaned out except for the odd-sized photography cells that no one cares about, including the 123s.

In either case, being prepared and having a supply on hand almost completely resolves this problem. I still prefer the common cell solution, specifically AAs, since even if my supply were to run out, there would be more batteries all around me in my devices (and the devices of others.) Plus there's a broad array of chemistries available, more lights available that can use them, and more runtime over the 123 format. Being able to provide light for very long periods of time is more important than extreme-output antics in an emergency situation.

And don't forget the one link to the outside world when all the other devices have failed - the radio. Most of those take AAs too.

wakemare

Newly Enlightened

Something with a very powerful UV output so I could kill the maroading hoards of vampires/zombies... Fox fury maybe. But mainly my jetbeam rrt-0 cos I can use both 123 and aa

Lighteous

Enlightened

My EagleTac T20C2 MKII with the tailstand switch and all of the various LED modules.

KittenKat

Newly Enlightened

I'd probably get a crank flashlight WTSHTF...Batteries could be scarce by that time, and people would probably be shooting each other for 'em...i just hope they make one with at least 100 otf lumens when that time comes :whistle:

Seeing as it's the Post Apocalypse that's a fine backup, expanding on that idea... I'd take a crank flashlight as a secondary backup with a Quark Tactical AA-2, a single AA body as well as a cr123 body as my primary, body armor, and alot of ammo... :thumbsup: You know, because batteries could be scarce by that time... :whistle:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, having been in end-of-the-world preparations for the last month, I find I'm focusing more on the batteries than the light. But the two lights I have to meet TEOTW are a ZL H501w headlamp, and a ThruNite 2A. Stocking plenty of eneloops, but haven't figured out how to recharge them with solar yet. If I happen to figure that out, then some zombie's sure to shoot me in the head and steal my sweet setup.

Last edited:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Figuring that most people will be scrounging for the more popular battery formats, I would be inclined to pick a CR123 based light. Most drugstores have them, and any store with a camera department should have them.

M61 in an MD2 with a hi-lo ring. Second choice would be a HDS 170 clickie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk